Radical ion rocket engine that could 'get to Mars and back on one tank of fuel' set to be tested on the ISS
It’s said that a radical ion engine known as the Neumann Drive could one day go to Mars and back on a single tank of fuel.
Now, the technology which has demonstrated efficiency surpassing that of even Nasa’s top efforts is set to undergo testing on the International Space Station.
The payload is expected to launch in 2018 and will operate in space for up to a year, allowing researchers to evaluate the system under real conditions.
HOW IT WORKS Ion thrusters, in essence, work by hurling particles backwards so that a spacecraft can be propelled forwards.
The Neumann ion drive works by... read more
- 13:39 Cumbria charity set for expansion to cope with continued demand
- 13:39 CODE RED STORM: Netherlands battered by 90mph winds leaving three dead
- 13:39 Park Hill golf club closes suddenly - all staff made redundant,...
- 13:39 Padiham's new-look gym officially opened
- 13:37 Alexis Sanchez to Man Utd deal held up by final stumbling block as...
- 13:37 Water supply reconnected at Nottingham station after fire
- 13:36 These are the top 10 Volkwagen GTI models of all time
- 13:35 Movies and TRAILER: Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep on The Post
- 13:35 WATCH: All your Preston North End questions answered in our Q&A
- 13:35 H&M hires a diversity leader following the whole ‘racist’ monkey...
- 13:34 Jack Rodwell exit would lift Sunderland fans’ perpetual Blue Mondays
- 13:34 Leeds news: Samuel Saiz donates £25,000 as club reach Toby Nye...
- 13:34 Alexis Sanchez to Man Utd: Arsenal star SAVAGED by legend ahead of...
- 13:34 Alexis Sanchez on brink of Man Utd move as shop prints No 7 shirts
- 13:34 What to do with your old £1 coins so you don't end up out of pocket
- 13:34 Seven million cars generate the same greenhouse gases as our...
- 13:34 Barnstorming laughs promised from rising comedy stars
- 13:34 From Nashville to Venice - enjoy musical contrasts
- 13:34 Masked thugs wielding crowbars attempt to rob cash-in-transit guard
- 13:32 Dylan Farrow claims Woody Allen sexual abuse claims are 'credible'
- 13:32 EastEnders spoilers: Tamzin Outhwaite talks Mel Owen’s exit as she...
- 13:31 Rutland County Council proposes 4.99 per cent council tax rise
- 13:30 Bride fears wedding is ruined after reception venue Park Hill Golf...
- 13:29 Most Americans think Trump’s first year was officially one...
- 13:29 UPDATED: IT system glitches prove costly for EMIS
- 13:29 Decision to implement new GP contract after strong backing from the...
- 13:29 Ceremony will mark milestone for Leeds cancer centre plans
- 13:28 Sir Tom Courtenay given freedom of city of Hull
- 13:28 District council leader answers questions on authority’s new HQ...
- 13:28 Margaret Thatcher set to lose out in Parliament Square statue battle