Quicker detection of lung, breast and bowel cancer 'could save the NHS £44 million a year in treatment costs'
The NHS could save £44 million a year if four cancers were diagnosed quicker, experts claim.
Faster detection of lung, breast, bowel and gynaecological cancers would prevent the need for many expensive treatments.
The importance of an early diagnosis - not only on NHS finances but on people's well-being - was made clear at the launch of a new multi-million pound prevention and early detection research initiative in Manchester.
The project will be led by The Christie NHS Foundation Trust - Europe's biggest single-site cancer centre with more than 550 active trials.
Speaking at its launch... read more
- 07:58 Tom Hayden, famous anti-Vietnam war activist, dies aged 76
- 07:57 Halloween 2016: Family and kids things to do in Birmingham and beyond
- 07:57 It's time to deliver for gay victims of injustice, says Kezia Dugdale
- 07:57 World Wrestling stars set to take-over Grimsby Auditorium
- 07:56 Phil Jones likes Instagram post trolling Jose Mourinho after...
- 07:53 Liverpool title doubt: West Brom midfielder gives Reds a reality check
- 07:52 Investigation launched after woman raped following Sheffield taxi ride
- 07:50 Grimsby Town must end speculation over manager - OPINION
- 07:50 Chris Doig wants quick end to Grimsby Town manager saga
- 07:50 Proud Grimbarian who sang solo at St Paul's Cathedral was...
- 07:49 Humberside Police using unmarked HGV to catch drivers on their...
- 07:49 On the frontline with Yorkshire Ambulance Service's Red Arrest Team
- 07:49 Transgender people tell their fascinating and heartbreaking stories...
- 07:49 How taxi driver saw a purse in the road and saved a Hull woman's...
- 07:49 Hull KR's Kieran Moran hoping for Four Nations debut
- 07:49 Mike Phelan accepts Hull City confidence is crumbling
- 07:49 Hull thief Benjamin Barnes' £40k splurge on Rolex, Disneyland and a...
- 07:49 GSK seeks U.S. approval for shingles vaccine Shingrix
- 07:49 Hull woman 'feared she was going to die' at hands of ex Jamie Bamforth
- 07:49 Contested Weldon homes plan ‘could unlock £500,000 of sports...
- 07:47 Travel, traffic and weather for Burton and South Derbyshire on...
- 07:46 Ben Stokes inspires England to victory in first Bangladesh Test
- 07:46 Adam Lallana: Playmaker provides Anfield update after reaching...
- 07:46 Expert explains why David Luiz wasn't sent off in Chelsea's 4-0 win...
- 07:46 Liverpool agree deal for midfielder - reports
- 07:46 British man was found dead with ham on his buttocks and genitals in...
- 07:46 Who made Garth Crooks’ 4-5-1 team of the week?
- 07:43 Drivers using mobile phones at the wheel 'absolutely rife' in...
- 07:42 REVEALED: What Mourinho told Conte after Manchester United’s...
- 07:41 Flood defence funding 'favours rich areas'