Queen's 100th birthday messages may have risen by 50% in 10 years
The number of congratulatory messages sent by the Queen to people reaching their 100th birthday may have risen by up to a half over the past decade.
An estimated 5,780 people living in the UK were 100 years old in the middle of 2015, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).
This compares with 3,710 at the same point in 2005 - a jump of 56%.
When people are approaching 100, it is traditional for their family to apply for a free birthday message to be sent from the Queen.
The figures also show that the total number of people aged 100 and over rose almost two-thirds in the past... read more
- 00:16 Huddersfield News: Christopher Schindler is a real bargain - Chris...
- 00:16 Liverpool News: Jurgen Klopp will stand by clueless defenders
- 00:16 Manchester United News: Romelu Lukaku scored winner against Saints...
- 00:16 Manchester City News: Stars should learn from Leroy Sane and step...
- 00:16 Celtic star Tom Rogic blast Rangers manager Pedro Caixinha for...
- 00:16 Baltimore Ravens suffer joint-worst defeat in their franchise...
- 00:13 Syria: US-backed rebels ‘colluding with Isis’
- 00:13 France: Parisians march against Macron’s latest diktats
- 00:13 New Zealand: Adern still in with a chance to be PM
- 00:13 NHS: Hospital waits reach record high
- 00:13 Picturehouse staff strike again
- 00:13 Chelsea News: I will miss Diego Costa, but Alvaro Morata is...
- 00:13 Tottenham News: Harry Kane is worth £100m like the best in the...
- 00:13 McDonnell: We’ll Slam the Lid on Tory Credit Crisis
- 00:07 How plastic became a victim of its own success
- 00:07 How jeans giant Levi Strauss got its mojo back
- 00:07 Labour to offer some women earlier retirement option
- 00:07 Gender pay gap widens for managers
- 00:07 Labour will allow women hit by state pension age changes to retire...
- 00:06 World of entertainment joins the NFL as they #taketheknee and defy...
- 00:06 Gaz Beadle gets new inking dedicated to his unborn child after...
- 00:02 Strictly Come Dancing 2017: Ten million tune in for hottest opening...
- 00:02 EastEnders spoilers: James Willmott-Brown to KILL Kathy Beale in...
- 00:01 Kane able to be ‘one of the world’s best strikers’
- 00:01 Harry Leslie Smith: We can do it again
- 00:01 Sane shows his worth as City dominate at home
- 00:01 Blades boss gets birthday present in Steel City derby
- 00:01 Magpies denied a point by Seagulls
- 00:01 The state is closing its ranks on spycops
- 00:01 The secret state is the real threat to democracy