Purple power! How drinking beetroot juice can make you run faster, help the elderly climb the stairs - and give competitors an advantage in sports
Eating beetroot can make you run faster, a study has found.
The purple vegetable was found to boost sprint times over 20 metres by 2 per cent.
While this may not sound much it is enough to give people an advantage in sports.
It may also be of use to old people who need to get a boost to get up the stairs, or run for the bus, researchers said.
The key to beetroot’s effect is nitrates, which increase the energy available to muscle cells.
In the study, one group were given beetroot juice, while the other were given beetroot juice that had the nitrate content taken out.
RELATED ARTICLES... read more
- 11:44 A man in Sydney has a travelcard implanted under his skin
- 11:43 Bereaved families offered safe place in Doncaster
- 11:43 Hillsborough charges: Do not give suspects chance to claim they can...
- 11:43 Hearts face Celtic, Kilmarnock, Rangers and Motherwell AWAY after...
- 11:43 Hotpoint fridge-freezer warning after Grenfell Tower Fire
- 11:43 Birmingham City Council to launch energy company to take on 'failed...
- 11:43 BREAKING: Six individuals to face charges over Hillsborough disaster
- 11:43 New hotel could be on the cards for Warwick
- 11:42 Six people charged over Hillsborough disaster including match...
- 11:42 Coventry City transfers: Mystery player pictured during pre-season...
- 11:42 BREAKING: Six individuals to face charges over Hillsborough disaster
- 11:42 Three injured after van ends up in ditch at Beeford
- 11:42 What Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has said about Nemanja...
- 11:42 Cumbria to be in fine voice for singing legend's return
- 11:42 'Precautionary' fire checks to be carried out within area's care...
- 11:41 Muslim children seek counselling after being called terrorists...
- 11:41 Operation underway to remove restaurant boat from Hartlepool Marina
- 11:41 BREAKING: Six individuals to face charges over Hillsborough disaster
- 11:41 Iconic Flying Scotsman steam train set to arrive in Melton
- 11:41 Man Utd Transfer News LIVE updates: Morata crunch talks, Galbraith...
- 11:41 Duckinfield, Bettison and others charged over Hillsborough disaster
- 11:41 Father and daughter to do 10,000ft skydive
- 11:41 Pair complete 24-hour walking marathon
- 11:40 Five friends have been recreating the same college photo since 1982
- 11:40 BREAKING: M1 closed in both directions in South Yorkshire due to...
- 11:40 Positive response received for Louth school changes
- 11:39 Government invests £340,000 to remodel Harrogate A&E department
- 11:39 'Precautionary' fire checks to be carried out within area's care...
- 11:39 Free nursery places for 1,500 needy children to be CUT by...
- 11:39 BANK’S STARK WARNING: Britain heading for crash if lenders don’t...