Purple power! How drinking beetroot juice can make you run faster, help the elderly climb the stairs - and give competitors an advantage in sports
Eating beetroot can make you run faster, a study has found.
The purple vegetable was found to boost sprint times over 20 metres by 2 per cent.
While this may not sound much it is enough to give people an advantage in sports.
It may also be of use to old people who need to get a boost to get up the stairs, or run for the bus, researchers said.
The key to beetroot’s effect is nitrates, which increase the energy available to muscle cells.
In the study, one group were given beetroot juice, while the other were given beetroot juice that had the nitrate content taken out.
RELATED ARTICLES... read more
- 13:26 What does your curry say about you?
- 13:26 Britain’s fury as Zimbabwe leader Robert Mugabe must be STRIPPED of...
- 13:24 Sellafield 'exercising extreme caution' as bomb disposal experts...
- 13:24 Woman suspected of Leeds knifepoint street robberies
- 13:23 Don’t put Vicks VapoRub in your vagina
- 13:22 Dimitri Oberlin confirms he rejected Manchester United transfer
- 13:21 Attack outside Littleover restaurant leaves victim needing hospital...
- 13:18 This is the law on having a bonfire and the nuisance it causes
- 13:18 Lego axes 1,400 jobs amid falling sales concerns
- 13:18 Take a look inside county's newest £2.2m GP surgery
- 13:17 Chelsea news: I’ve changed my opinion on Alvaro Morata - Sky Sports...
- 13:17 Man Utd team news: Henrikh Mkhitaryan to be dropped for...
- 13:17 Dangerous glass removed as Storm Brian hits Lancashire
- 13:16 Shamed Harvey Weinstein completes just ONE WEEK of sex addiction rehab
- 13:16 Real Madrid chiefs asked Tottenham for Harry Kane valuation before...
- 13:16 Katie Price cancels second gig due to ‘sudden unforeseen...
- 13:16 Dangerous glass removed as Storm Brian hits Lancashire
- 13:14 Towneley Park needs your votes
- 13:12 Hebburn man's plea to BAN Thomas Cook from Las Vegas following...
- 13:12 Ever had a visit from Home Group? You might want to check your...
- 13:12 Killer drivers can now get life - but this mum says laws must go...
- 13:12 Family holiday saved after travel agent goes the extra mile
- 13:10 Coventry City takeover talk "unnecessary and unwanted speculation"
- 13:10 Police officer ‘assaulted with glass’ at Warwick Runaway Mop
- 13:10 How to get cheaper parking at Bullring over half term
- 13:10 Timi Elsnik - Derby County Under-23 player profile and stats
- 13:08 Middlesbrough news: Stewart Downing reveals ‘big shock’ after Garry...
- 13:08 Ruben Neves: Wolves star Danny Batth lifts the lid on superstar...
- 13:08 Chelsea fans go into meltdown on Twitter after Pedro’s outrageous...
- 13:05 Vision to create £40million medical school in Chester unveiled