Pupils vote to restart classes after protests
STUDENTS at South Africa’s third-oldest university voted overwhelmingly to return to lectures after violent protests forced its closure last week, ballot results showed yesterday.
Johannesburg’s University of the Witwatersrand said 77 per cent of the 21,730 students and staff who voted in its poll backed returning to classes on Monday.
The university had been closed since Fees Must Fall protesters demanding a freeze on tuition fees attacked campus buildings, smashing windows and injuring a dozen security guards.
One guard died of breathing difficulties after rioters let off fire... read more
- 18:28 Goldman, closer to Murdoch than Bugs Bunny, misses year's biggest deal
- 18:27 Positive thinking: Our pick of the latest self-help books
- 18:27 Woman’s body found in woodland
- 18:27 Major Cumbria route closed overnight for flood work
- 18:25 Samsung chip supplier AMS warns of customer setback, shares plunge
- 18:25 T-Mobile seen as top target following AT&T-Time Warner deal
- 18:25 15 firefighters attend incident in Lincoln's Ermine West
- 18:25 Renewable energy capacity overtakes coal
- 18:24 Eddie Jones to name England squad on Wednesday morning after...
- 18:24 Ronnie O'Sullivan through to last-16 of International Championship...
- 18:24 Stuart Broad set to wait for 100th Test cap as England consider...
- 18:24 England coach Trevor Bayliss predicts Ben Stokes can become one of...
- 18:24 Firefighters tackle blaze at city maisonette
- 18:24 Anthony Martial ditches supercar as he leaves Manchester United...
- 18:24 Liverpool vs Tottenham, EFL Cup LIVE: Plus Arsenal vs Reading and...
- 18:22 Parents of Deepcut soldier Cheryl James get human rights award for...
- 18:22 CALAIS 'JUNGLE' DEMOLITION: First shacks TORN DOWN as thousands of...
- 18:22 Firearms raid at Wrexham property sees man arrested
- 18:20 Russia says it extends moratorium on Aleppo air strikes
- 18:19 CCTV clue after two friends attacked after leaving The Ritz in...
- 18:19 Bodies found after Allerton house fire
- 18:18 DVD Reviews: Two Women and A Special Day
- 18:16 ‘Even though Daisy has gone, she will never be forgotten. She will...
- 18:15 Blitz on burglary suspects in Northumberland and North Tyneside
- 18:14 GUILTY: Fleetwood man murdered his baby girl
- 18:14 ‘Even though Daisy has gone, she will never be forgotten. She will...
- 18:14 Cannabis farm uncovered at remote Cumbrian bungalow
- 18:14 Man denies insurance fraud
- 18:13 'I had to quit my job and do something to help people': One woman's...
- 18:13 Ronda Rousey ran from fighting Holly Holm again in the UFC after...