Proxy voting by MPs 'good for democracy', says Harman
Allowing an MP who has recently become a parent to nominate a proxy to vote on their behalf would be "good for democracy", Harriet Harman has said.
The Labour politician told the Commons procedure committee constituents voices were "lost" when MPs were not able to vote because of family commitments.
A proxy system would be a "small but important" step forward, she said.
Tory MP Maria Miller told the committee it would be up to MPs to decide which colleague could best represent them.
She said effectively "disempowering" MPs with young children... read more
- 09:56 Northants councils shake-up: Consultation ‘a farce’
- 09:55 'We've got a manager who knows what to:' Doncaster England fan in...
- 09:55 VIDEO: Jubilant England fans bring Doncaster to standstill as...
- 09:55 Harrogate Hospital's Emergency Department moved for temporary works
- 09:54 Mountain rescue help find lost fell runner on Clougha
- 09:53 Man dies after wall collapses at building site
- 09:53 Love Island fans beg Samira to "back off" from Alex amid Zara interest
- 09:53 Shayne Ward returns to Coronation Street to surprise Catherine...
- 09:53 VIDEO: Jubilant England fans bring Doncaster to standstill as...
- 09:51 Vehicle blaze closes M62 near Leeds
- 09:51 'Life-saving' medical cannabis looks set to finally be provided for...
- 09:50 The Jerry Springer Show turns 25: the 10 most outrageous moments
- 09:49 Carillion collapse cost Notts taxpayers a quarter of a million pounds
- 09:49 Harrogate Hospital's Emergency Department moved for temporary works
- 09:49 The Finsbury Park attack showed us the worst of Britain, but how we...
- 09:49 How will YouTube Music and YouTube Premium work and how much will...
- 09:49 Residents 'shocked' by amount of Wigan dog thefts
- 09:49 Liverpool transfer news: Nabil Fekir quizzed on failed Anfield switch
- 09:48 STV chiefs under fire after snubbing Holyrood appearance
- 09:48 Northants councils shake-up: Consultation ‘a farce’
- 09:48 Woman who revealed names of two sex offence victims on social media...
- 09:47 Oz thug rock: the sound of 'complete disregard for authority'
- 09:47 Inside Jean-Michel Basquiat’s teen years: 'He was hitting on...
- 09:47 Capital’s Sigma extends Countryside deal
- 09:47 Lord Hague joins call for cannabis reform in wake of epilepsy...
- 09:47 Vehicle blaze closes M62 near Leeds
- 09:47 Air Ambulance called to Preston garage after 'car falls on man'
- 09:47 Burnley street gripped by World Cup fever
- 09:45 Burglary at York farm shop: Police release CCTV image of suspect
- 09:45 Union back on picket line as train strike hits Wigan