Protests force week-long shutdown at South Africa's Wits University
Clashes between police and student protesters forced South Africa's Wits University to suspend classes for the second time in less than a month, as unrest mounted again over education costs.
Police fired stun grenades, rubber bullets and tear gas at hundreds of protesters marching and dancing through the Johannesburg campus on Tuesday, demanding free education.
Students threw stones at police and flipped one vehicle. The university said some protesters had earlier pulled lecturers out of their offices as they prepared to restart classes after an earlier shutdown called on Sept. 20.
"We... read more
- 16:29 Police gave children fake guns to shoot ‘terrorist’ targets on a...
- 16:29 Lancaster City player to undertake Morecambe prom charity challenge
- 16:29 Watch moment man tries multiple door handles before slipping inside...
- 16:29 Time running out to secure school bus seats
- 16:28 Couple married on Good Hope Hospital ward after groom given weeks...
- 16:27 Wall St. boosted by tech stocks, rebound in oil prices
- 16:27 Slain Minnesota man's family in $3 million police-shooting settlement
- 16:27 Sutton knife woman sent to crown court
- 16:27 Serena Williams would be 700th in world if she played on men’s...
- 16:27 PICTURES: Police target ‘car cruising’ event at M1 junction
- 16:25 Dave King should accept Rangers will always be in Celtic’s shadow...
- 16:25 Katy Perry seen ‘whispering’ in Chris Martin’s ear as the pair were...
- 16:25 How a Dewsbury hospital is calming children’s nerves
- 16:25 Why there were delays on M1 at junction 19 at Catthorpe earlier today
- 16:25 The curious case of the 1826 General Election in Alnwick - and an...
- 16:24 Tyrers set to become restaurant and flats - here is how it could look
- 16:24 Prolific burglar admits robbing men and women at gun and knifepoint
- 16:24 Missing cruise ship worker from Chester 'had sex with man in front...
- 16:24 This is why florist put 30 bouquets of flowers at random locations...
- 16:24 People are spreading distressing hoax stories about a baby being...
- 16:23 Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl in Glastonbury tribute to dead fan
- 16:23 Drugs gang jailed for nearly 66 years
- 16:22 Nottinghamshire care home pulled out of special measures
- 16:20 Inside Britain's largest ever warship with nine decks, a hangar for...
- 16:20 Kinky fetish fanatic jailed after drug-fuelled bondage sex game...
- 16:19 Harry Potter movies, ranked from best to worst
- 16:19 Latest planning applications
- 16:19 Catalan chic: A guide to Girona and the Costa Brava
- 16:18 Major fashion store closes down at Grand Central
- 16:18 Charging your phone overnight could be seriously damaging your battery