Protests force week-long shutdown at South Africa's Wits University
Clashes between police and student protesters forced South Africa's Wits University to suspend classes for the second time in less than a month, as unrest mounted again over education costs.
Police fired stun grenades, rubber bullets and tear gas at hundreds of protesters marching and dancing through the Johannesburg campus on Tuesday, demanding free education.
Students threw stones at police and flipped one vehicle. The university said some protesters had earlier pulled lecturers out of their offices as they prepared to restart classes after an earlier shutdown called on Sept. 20.
"We... read more
- 16:44 Toys help topple target at pub’s charity event
- 16:44 Match of the Day's Gary Lineker blasts Hull City's Robert Snodgrass...
- 16:41 Skegness woman’s appeal brings Christmas to children’s ward
- 16:36 Potential investors in Hull City spotted at KCOM Stadium ahead of...
- 16:36 'Ecstasy' teenager found dead in Manchester hotel
- 16:35 Sporting success for high school
- 16:34 Primary schools in Lincolnshire rated as best performers in East...
- 16:33 Youth football coach allowed to keep working after child sex...
- 16:33 Watford 3-2 Everton: Stefano Okaka brace stuns the Toffees as...
- 16:33 Writer AA Gill dies after short battle with cancer
- 16:33 Arsenal star Mesut Ozil hits goal scoring milestone with header v...
- 16:32 Council warns residents about 'misleading' flyer
- 16:30 Upper crust pork pie victory by Haighs Shop
- 16:30 Kirklees man arrested over impersonating police officer
- 16:28 Writer AA Gill dies after short battle with cancer
- 16:28 Taxi driver who raped a teenage passenger jailed for 10 years
- 16:25 University tells students ‘don’t dress like Kim Kardashian’...
- 16:25 Hull City fans protest against Allam ownership in front of Anlaby...
- 16:25 ‘Good’ result for Leicestershire Police in latest HMIC inspection
- 16:24 Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder
- 16:21 Search for Good Samaritan after woman sexually assaulted
- 16:19 Is your old Nokia or Motorola mobile phone worth up to £1,000?
- 16:18 Upper crust pork pie victory by Haighs Shop
- 16:18 Kirklees man arrested over impersonating police officer
- 16:16 Arsenal star Hector Bellerin takes 17 minutes to underlain his...
- 16:16 INTERVIEW: Anders Lustgarten
- 16:16 Dramatic picture shows car on its roof after crash in Stenson...
- 16:15 Flooded nursery heading into 2017 on a high
- 16:14 Man United Transfer News: Dimitri Payet swap deal, Divock Origi...
- 16:14 WATCH: Santa Claus is coming to town for Marston's Christmas Festival