Protests as health minister visits Cumbria to meet hospital campaigners
Health minister Philip Dunne has today met with hospital staff and campaigners during a visit to Cumbria.
After recently taking up the post following Theresa May's government reshuffle, he made the journey to the West Cumberland Hospital to honour a promise made to activists by his predecessor Ben Gummer.
It follows the unveiling of controversial plans to downgrade services - including maternity, paediatrics and stroke - at the Whitehaven hospital by the Government's Success Regime, which have been condemned locally as unsafe.
The trip saw Mr Dunne tour the new part of the hospital,... read more
- 07:09 Double delight for Carlisle children's nursery after flood recovery
- 07:07 New Zealand captain Kane Williamson becomes Kiwis' all-time leading...
- 07:07 Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes send message to rivals as champion sets...
- 07:03 40, 000 fake cigarettes and drugs seized as part of Doncaster...
- 07:02 7 of the best gins to drink during spring and the Easter holidays
- 06:58 Spalding nurse and runner: ‘I just had to stop and help him’
- 06:57 Prince Charles claims: lavish spending, obsessed with public...
- 06:57 Gangster’s paradise: how organised crime took over Russia
- 06:57 The end of the auteur?
- 06:57 Sea of dog mess is like ‘50 Shades of Brown’
- 06:57 Bird of prey flying at leisure centre to scare away pigeons
- 06:57 The two teenage Irish Traveller brothers who became sensations in...
- 06:57 Treasure Island was pure gold
- 06:56 Wife’s vow to raise £50k to fund husband’s brain tumour fight abroad
- 06:56 Bag a bargain when Joules sale returns to Corby this weekend
- 06:56 Defibrillator installed in Bidford
- 06:56 APPEAL: Theft from Assembly Rooms market
- 06:56 Roundabout wins in battle to make Kettering junction safer
- 06:56 Spalding nurse and runner: ‘I just had to stop and help him’
- 06:56 Kettering steak house hopes to be a cut above the rest
- 06:56 Wellingborough MP Peter Bone: “I’ve no link with Cambridge Analytica”
- 06:56 40, 000 fake cigarettes and drugs seized as part of Doncaster...
- 06:56 ‘This is our life sentence’ say murder victim’s family as...
- 06:54 Liverpool ace Mohamed Salah battling Kevin de Bruyne and Harry Kane...
- 06:53 Ear Hustle: vivid view of life behind bars in San Quentin –...
- 06:51 Thrills and chills at Broadway's Frozen musical
- 06:51 Watchdog raids firm suspected of 200m nuisance calls
- 06:42 Period poverty in Cumbria - girls missing lessons over cost of...
- 06:42 Sunderland man battling brain tumour launches charity after defying...
- 06:42 Fancy a job at the top? Sunderland City Council to begin search for...