Protesters vow to fight fracking in the North East after Government approves landmark ruling
Fracking could have dire consequences on the North East and its communities, campaigners say.
The warning comes after the Government approved plans for the controversial process to be carried out at a site in Lancashire.
A second site, Roseacre Wood, has not yet been given the green light amid concerns over the impact on the area.
It means, for the first time, UK shale rock will be fracked horizontally, which is expected to yield more gas.
Protesters have vowed to continue their fight against fracking in the UK and warned it would not be welcomed in the North East.
Simon Bowens, North East... read more
- 19:41 Modern car headlights are ‘blinding drivers’ even when dipped
- 19:41 Lys Assia, the winner of the first ever Eurovision Song Contest,...
- 19:40 Scottish Labour MEP: ‘Second EU referendum is only fair action’
- 19:39 Drones sent in to catch fly-tippers in the act
- 19:38 England U21 2-1 Romania U21: Jake Clarke-Salter enjoys dream debut...
- 19:35 Incredible bird lays two triple yolkers in one month
- 19:33 James Collins strikes for Luton Town and deepens Barnet woes
- 19:33 Paul Smyth winner puts late spring in Michael O’Neill’s second coming
- 19:30 Chilling images inside home where teenager made bomb planted on Tube
- 19:29 League One round-up: Stefan Payne strikes as Shrewsbury go back top...
- 19:29 League Two round-up: Marc McNulty hat-trick sees Coventry continue...
- 19:22 Two men in 20s shot outside Mile End tube station
- 19:22 Kit de Waal: ‘I read my first novel aged 22’
- 19:20 Liverpool bench can’t control laughter at John Aldridge tumble...
- 19:17 James Doyle jockeys’ title hopes in focus after Addeybb’s Lincoln win
- 19:17 PSG hold talks with Antonio Conte’s representatives over summer move
- 19:16 This is when the clocks change this weekend
- 19:12 Saracens 24-11 Harlequins: Liam Williams and Maro Itoje tries see...
- 19:12 Charlton boss Lee Bowyer challenges players to crash League One...
- 19:04 WEEKEND WEB: Order repeat prescriptions in plenty of time for Easter
- 19:03 When do the clocks go forward tonight, and why?
- 19:02 How Jose Mourinho’s rift with Paul Pogba started at Manchester United
- 19:00 When does the minimum wage go up 2018?
- 18:57 Michael Vaughan slams Steve Smith after Australia captain admits to...
- 18:54 'We have achieved nothing yet' - Coventry City boss Mark Robins has...
- 18:51 Carer sacked after filming Alzheimer’s sufferer crawling on floor
- 18:50 Lottery grant funds heritage skills placements
- 18:50 Two boys arrested after video captures commuter being brutally...
- 18:48 Spen Valley High School’s Mrs McConnell retires after 30 years
- 18:47 Lottery grant funds heritage skills placements