Protest against Carlisle city centre crossing go-ahead
MORE than 1,300 people have backed an online petition opposing a new pedestrian crossing that would link Carlisle Castle to the city centre.
City councillors approved the project after a lively debate, with supporters saying the toucan crossing will boost business, and give cyclists, disabled people, those in wheelchairs easy access over the road.
But opponent John Hilton, who organised the petition, claimed that nobody who regularly crosses Castle Way to the city centre via the existing crossings wants to see the project go ahead.
He said the crossing will simply cause congestion and... read more
- 13:09 Four Seasons Health Care gains breathing space
- 13:09 REVIEW: Aladdin Preston Charter Theatre
- 13:08 Almost 300 missed appointments at Millom surgery
- 13:08 Millom museum to close for month-long refurbishment
- 13:08 Barrow man admits lying to police after hit-and-run
- 13:08 Christmas benefits 2017 to be paid EARLY - these are the dates you...
- 13:07 Sir Cliff Richard warned financial affairs may be revealed during...
- 13:07 Final Fantasy 7 Remake UPDATE - Another blow for FF7 fans hoping...
- 13:06 REVIEW: Aladdin Preston Charter Theatre
- 13:06 Wakefield coroners seek information on family of Castleford man
- 13:06 Wakefield Christmas hamper appeal is a success
- 13:05 Christmas benefits 2017 to be paid EARLY - these are the dates you...
- 13:05 The Week in the Life column with Keith Tordoff
- 13:04 Human League singer BANNED from airport lounge for wearing the...
- 13:04 The Week in the Life column with Keith Tordoff
- 13:04 Hollywood awards choose all-female presenters
- 13:04 Dundee United’s Scott Fraser gets player of the month award
- 13:04 Manchester United player Luke Shaw sends message to fans after...
- 13:03 Alice Ruggles' friends plan perfect tribute to Gateshead murder victim
- 13:03 Up to 1,200 homes planned for next phase of Newcastle's Great Park...
- 13:02 Parents warned after stranger attempted to get schoolgirl into car...
- 13:02 ICE ALERT: Met Office warns of potential for travel disruption
- 13:02 Derbyshire motorists need to be more alert on the roads
- 13:02 Christmas benefits 2017 to be paid EARLY - these are the dates you...
- 13:02 JAILED: 18 weeks for Heanor car thief
- 13:02 Updates as tractor sheds its load and blocks major roundabout
- 13:02 Wakefield coroners seek information on family of Castleford man
- 13:02 Wakefield Christmas hamper appeal is a success
- 13:01 ‘The school and town are losing an exceptional headteacher’:...
- 13:01 Christmas benefits 2017 to be paid EARLY - these are the dates you...