Protest against Carlisle city centre crossing go-ahead
MORE than 1,300 people have backed an online petition opposing a new pedestrian crossing that would link Carlisle Castle to the city centre.
City councillors approved the project after a lively debate, with supporters saying the toucan crossing will boost business, and give cyclists, disabled people, those in wheelchairs easy access over the road.
But opponent John Hilton, who organised the petition, claimed that nobody who regularly crosses Castle Way to the city centre via the existing crossings wants to see the project go ahead.
He said the crossing will simply cause congestion and... read more
- 09:33 Troy: Fall of a City: Who was the Greek hero Agamemnon?
- 09:33 Back off! Hungary votes AGAINST Euro Commission as it tries to...
- 09:32 Meeting to make decision on proposals to reduce size of Lichfield...
- 09:32 Warwick primary school pupils get a helping hand planting spring bulbs
- 09:32 Weather: 'BEAST FROM THE EAST' to freeze Yorkshire next week
- 09:31 Netanyahu aide agrees to implicate PM over corruption claims – reports
- 09:31 Lake District zip-wire plans abandoned after protests
- 09:31 Pound to euro exchange rate: Brexit report drives sterling higher
- 09:31 Breaking: Fire crews in attendance at Mablethorpe house fire
- 09:30 Doncaster octogenarian’s royal appointment in recognition of...
- 09:30 Leeds Rag Fashion Show: A Time.less display of creativity and energy
- 09:29 The prolific Newcastle United striker whose name is so often...
- 09:29 Knifeman who sparked a stand-off with armed police at his Hebburn...
- 09:28 Steve Bruce's verdict on Lewis Grabban - the full Aston Villa press...
- 09:28 Every word Steve Cotterill had to say after Birmingham City were...
- 09:28 Man hurt as car ends up in Doncaster ditch
- 09:28 Barratt considers shifting production from Germany to UK
- 09:28 Four injured in Doncaster motorway crash
- 09:27 Value our inspirational teachers
- 09:26 Crooks backing old pal van Veen to be a big hit at Cobblers
- 09:26 Blaze at glass recycling plant in South Kirkby near Pontefract
- 09:25 Wraps come off new BMW X4
- 09:25 Body found in middle of M20 motorway closes road
- 09:25 Chelsea News: Hazard talks Barcelona draw, Courtois' Real Madrid...
- 09:25 Police find cannabis bush worth £4,000 in house raid in Sheffield
- 09:25 Warwick primary school pupils get a helping hand planting spring bulbs
- 09:25 Eddie Hearn targets August showdown with Jarrell Miller for Anthony...
- 09:24 Why Darkest Hour should win the 2018 best picture Oscar
- 09:23 'Affordable' housing in Bilton: new meeting announced
- 09:23 Good Morning Britain’s Susanna Reid forced to interrupt seriously...