Prof John Curtice: Constituency axe affects almost every Scots MP
David Cameron may have left
10 Downing St but his presence is being felt this morning by almost every single Scottish MP.
In the wake of the MPs’ expenses scandal the former prime minister promised to cut the number of MPs from 650 to 600, while equalising the size of constituencies throughout the UK.
The Liberal Democrats scuppered his plans in the last parliament, but the Boundary Commissions have now set about redrawing the political map once again.
As a result, the number of Scottish seats is to be reduced from 59 to 53.
Despite their small electorates, the two island constituencies,... read more
- 14:52 Rabbit sale ban across Lincolnshire to stop Easter impulse buying
- 14:52 Would you still vote to leave the EU?
- 14:52 Shameful Derbyshire uncle threatened to use blow torch on niece’s feet
- 14:51 Derbyshire bird-watching spot destroyed by 'vandals'
- 14:51 Wizard of Wishaw John Higgins begins title quest in China with...
- 14:50 Echo and signed strip featured among time capsule items at new...
- 14:48 Takeaway delivery driver robbed of cash and hit in the head in...
- 14:48 Reports of Coca-Cola cans contaminated by human waste...
- 14:48 22-storey Pall Mall tower APPROVED - and other things we learned...
- 14:48 Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo used to CRY when this happened
- 14:45 POLL: If the EU referendum was held again today, how would you vote?
- 14:45 White Rose Shopping Centre celebrates 20 years with birthday bonanza
- 14:45 Wall St. set to open slightly lower
- 14:45 Trump to sign order sweeping away Obama-era climate policies
- 14:45 The best Easter eggs for kids - choose from Cadbury, Marks and...
- 14:45 A year on, regal Suu Kyi struggles to move Myanmar on from conflict
- 14:45 Easter eggs perfect for adults - choose from Lindt, Cadbury,...
- 14:45 The best luxury Easter eggs from Lindt to Prestat, Waitrose and more
- 14:44 Musical treat with top brass talent
- 14:45 London-Paris business and tourism partnerships announced
- 14:44 Having a hoot with new statues
- 14:44 Boxer helps spread word
- 14:44 Standing together in remembrance
- 14:44 Shock as education chief passes away
- 14:44 Tributes pour in for much-loved councillor
- 14:44 Pooch Jack gives the gift of life
- 14:44 The road to the future...
- 14:44 Passenger ‘attacked by man with machete following row at...
- 14:43 Train pervert Nicky Bayliss, 43, jailed over sex attacks on women
- 14:43 Transfer News: Chelsea contract close, star finalising Man Utd...