Pro-China HK lawmakers stage walk-out to halt swearing-in of pro-independence activists
Dozens of pro-Beijing lawmakers staged a walk-out from the Hong Kong legislature on Wednesday to stall the swearing in of two pro-independence lawmakers in the Chinese-ruled city.
The topic of independence has long been taboo in the former British colony, now governed under the "one country, two systems" principle since its return to China in 1997.
The government failed in an unprecedented legal attempt on Tuesday to halt the swearing-in of the two.
The lawmakers marched out of the legislative chamber, leaving Chinese and Hong Kong flags in their place, to deprive it of a quorum.... read more
- 12:51 Ceilidh event at Wragby for hospice funds
- 12:51 Murder investigation launched after baby death
- 12:51 Two Long Eaton restaurants to merge to become 'new and exciting'...
- 12:51 Man charged over knifepoint robbery at Co-op last summer
- 12:51 How did your child’s school fare in GCSE tables?
- 12:50 Proud West Notts College hailed as champion of LGBT diversity
- 12:49 Engineers called out after residents left without gas in Oundle
- 12:49 Which feathered friends are visiting your garden?
- 12:49 Controversial Butterley Spillway scheme up for regional award
- 12:49 Sir Patrick Stewart to voice the poo in the Emoji Movie
- 12:48 Afghan journalists face more threats as violence spreads
- 12:48 French Left seeks candidate to take election poisoned chalice
- 12:47 Gangland figure Ross Monaghan was wearing bulletproof vest when he...
- 12:47 Cricketers are bowled over by success across the board
- 12:46 Carlisle man admits £37,000 benefits fraud
- 12:46 UPDATE: Woman bailed in Leonne Weeks murder enquiry
- 12:46 14 stunning windows that give the best views of Liverpool
- 12:45 Vulcan bomber mothballed and staff laid off as cash crisis bites
- 12:44 Angel sculpture takes shape as 40 police forces donate knife...
- 12:44 Warning over threat to pushchairs from train slipstreams
- 12:44 Letter: Donald Trump could be a success
- 12:44 Former red arrows pilot announced as leader of Northamptonshire...
- 12:44 Three men charged after night time break in at convenience store
- 12:44 Tipping trailer stolen overnight from Northampton
- 12:43 Telegraph Voices: Special debate on Sheffield’s Roma community
- 12:43 We need a plan
- 12:43 The Big Challenge: Looking for a new perspective
- 12:43 Air ambulance in need of volunteers
- 12:42 Leicester mayor Peter Soulsby faces standards complaint
- 12:42 REVEALED: Lancashire school performance tables 2017