Pro-China HK lawmakers stage walk-out to halt swearing-in of pro-independence activists
Dozens of pro-Beijing lawmakers staged a walk-out from the Hong Kong legislature on Wednesday to stall the swearing in of two pro-independence lawmakers in the Chinese-ruled city.
The topic of independence has long been taboo in the former British colony, now governed under the "one country, two systems" principle since its return to China in 1997.
The government failed in an unprecedented legal attempt on Tuesday to halt the swearing-in of the two.
The lawmakers marched out of the legislative chamber, leaving Chinese and Hong Kong flags in their place, to deprive it of a quorum.... read more
- 07:24 Thieves leave 'scene of devastation' after ransacking church for money
- 07:24 Woman accused of murdering boyfriend by stabbing him in chest...
- 07:23 'Evil' bully's reign of terror which left disabled girlfriend 'broken'
- 07:23 EU gives food clean bill of health over herbicides
- 07:22 Nikkei climbs to fresh 6-month high as rising yields help financial...
- 07:21 Phil Brown tells Hull City fans what they'll get from Neil McDonald
- 07:21 Q&A with new Hull KR coach Tim Sheens as he talks City of Culture...
- 07:21 Family’s thanks for support after fire destroys their Swinstead home
- 07:21 NHS 'hundreds of millions of pounds short' regaining cash from...
- 07:20 Manchester United receive Chris Smalling injury boost
- 07:19 Iain Duncan Smith to urge PM to scrap £3.4bn Universal Credit cuts
- 07:18 Barnet suffer major blow ahead of Hartlepool visit
- 07:18 William Scott Abbott Trust receives last of money it needs to...
- 07:17 South Derbyshire food hub in Swadlincote celebrates feeding 1,000th...
- 07:17 Traffic, travel and weather for Burton and South Derbyshire
- 07:17 Russia says Syria should look at gas attacks, dimming sanctions hopes
- 07:17 Two men charged with tampering with three ATMs in Grantham
- 07:17 Keep children safe this Halloween
- 07:15 Sheffield war hero's medal now pride of place in museum
- 07:13 Dead scary: Bodmin Jail ghost tours
- 07:11 Exclusive - Rohingya women say Myanmar soldiers raped them amid...
- 07:09 Fundraising effort for Tarporley War Memorial Hospital launched at...
- 07:08 Martin Flanagan: TSB rising to the Brexit challenge
- 07:06 Warning after greyhound Wally dies from neck bite by black dog in...
- 07:06 'Hopeless' electrician Philip Neill 'overcharged customers' in VAT...
- 07:06 Deliveroo launching in Hull to bring restaurant food to your door
- 07:06 Gilberdyke man Jamie Hayhurst raped woman at knifepoint and punched...
- 07:07 Council View: Please remember the fallen and support the poppy appeal
- 07:06 Stagecoach bus drivers in Hull fear brick-throwing vandals 'could...
- 07:06 Hull City Council boss says bad parking is stopping them collecting...