Private firms could face same rules as listed rivals
Private firms could be forced to follow the same guidelines on corporate governance as listed companies, under new government proposals.
Theresa May said the changes would mean "everybody plays by the same rules".
The move follows the BHS collapse this year with the loss of 11,000 jobs and a big pension deficit.
It is one of a number of measures being considered by the government in its consultation on corporate governance, due to be announced later on Tuesday.
The government said the proposed changes would better protect privately owned companies' employees, customers and pension... read more
- 00:10 MRIs could ‘change equation’ for prostate cancer screening
- 00:08 How former Leeds sewage works turned into a top retail spot for...
- 00:08 England U19 3-0 Spain U19: Trent Alexander-Arnold scores brace to...
- 00:08 RFU chiefs planning big change for the Six Nations but players...
- 00:08 Man United star David De Gea: This is the best thing about Jose...
- 00:06 REVEALED: These are the 10 CHEAPEST European city breaks for UK...
- 00:06 Will Brexit hinder Yorkshire’s efforts to tackle human trafficking?
- 00:05 Glasgow and Edinburgh worst offenders in food hygiene standards
- 00:05 Scots teachers subject to ‘vicious’ online abuse from parents
- 00:00 Smalling knock gives Gibson first England call
- 00:00 Essential essence of Loud Women in twenty-one terrific tracks
- 00:00 Searching for unity, home and abroad
- 00:00 Facing up to capitalist realities
- 00:00 City fined €18k for Champions League offences
- 00:00 Hockey chiefs turn to knobstick team
- 00:00 A new dawn after all this wait?
- 00:00 Gutenberg’s dubious legacy
- 00:00 The passing of Martin McGuinness
- 00:00 Martin McGuinness: The man and the contradiction
- 00:00 Solidarity with Venezuela
- 00:00 Ireland: Communists pay tribute to McGuinness
- 00:00 Brazil: Attorney-general calls for wider corruption probe
- 00:00 US: Nunes agrees to answer committee
- 00:00 Measly 1% NHS pay offer angers union
- 00:00 Scotland: Anti-racists to protest against neonazi march
- 00:01 Danny Houghton and Jake Connor injury updates after Hull FC beat...
- 00:00 1 million car industry jobs at risk
- 23:59 Lewis Hamilton scorches but F1 is crying out for a Ferrari revival...
- 23:59 England yobs in the dock over Martin McGuinness chant as footage...
- 23:59 Eric Dier reveals his relief after anxious phone call to his mum in...