Prisoner found dead in cell days after giving birth
A prisoner was found dead in her cell with a ligature around her neck days after she gave birth, an inquest has heard.
Michelle Barnes, 33, from Cumbria, was serving a two-year sentence at Low Newton Prison in Durham for drugs offences when she was found dead in December.
Durham Coroner Andrew Tweddle told the jury at Crook Civic Centre that she had a history of mental health problems and self-harm, and that she found out she was pregnant when she was in prison. She had been jailed in June last year.
Mr Tweddle said Cumbria County Council was involved in the inquest because care proceedings... read more
- 10:42 Poet pens ode to love for local waterways
- 10:42 Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez unlikely to seal transfer back to La Liga,...
- 10:41 European shares hit Q4 high as banks advance further
- 10:40 There’s art in store for college students
- 10:40 Crashes claim 49 lives on South Yorkshire roads
- 10:39 Award creates a a buzz
- 10:39 Peter Vaughan: Tributes to 'wonderful' Game of Thrones and Porridge...
- 10:39 Arsene Wenger: This is why Arsenal stunned Basel last night
- 10:39 Confirmed: Man United first-team trio miss Europa League trip: Full...
- 10:39 Germany legend warns Arsenal: Do not sign this midfielder
- 10:37 Sony to release as many as six mobile phone games next year
- 10:36 Santa to fly in to local hospice
- 10:36 Miss Rugby stars in video
- 10:35 It’s Miaow-y Christmas!
- 10:35 EMERGING MARKETS-Lira at one-week high; fragile emerging assets...
- 10:34 Lib Dems fined £20,000 by watchdog over undeclared payments
- 10:34 WEIRD WINTER WEATHER: Temperatures to top balmy 12C
- 10:34 Drug-user told how she stole goods because she left purse at home
- 10:34 Pensioner admits kidnap and sexual assault of young girl in village...
- 10:33 Boy, 11, dies three years after accidentally hanging himself
- 10:32 Bayern Munich send ominous message to Arsenal on Twitter ahead of...
- 10:32 Jose Mourinho leaves SIX Manchester United first team stars at home...
- 10:31 Georgian townhouses to undergo £2m revamp
- 10:31 Flu risk leads to order to keep all poultry indoors
- 10:30 Britain fines Pfizer record $107 million for huge drug price hike
- 10:30 'Keep your birds indoors!' Birdflu outbreak warning issued for...
- 10:30 The Premier League's deadliest ever penalty takers - ranked by...
- 10:29 Letters - December 12, 2016
- 10:28 Santa to fly in to local hospice
- 10:27 CSKA Moscow star Alan Dzagoev looks to heap misery on Tottenham at...