Prison inquiry demanded by governors after 'unprecedented' rise in violence
The Prison Governors Association has called on the government to set up an independent public inquiry into the state of prisons in England and Wales.
It follows what the association describes as an "unprecedented" rise in violence and suicides in prisons.
The association's members voted unanimously for a public inquiry at the body's annual conference in Derby.
Justice Secretary Liz Truss last week promised an extra £14m to recruit more prison officers.
'Brutal environment' The association, which represents 1,021 governors across the UK, said that in the 12 months to June there... read more
- 15:32 Winter Olympics digest: Team GB coach branded a ‘traitor curler’
- 15:32 Derbyshire man charged with the robbery of a 12-year-old girl
- 15:32 Mansfield man’s “terrifying” attack on ex-partner
- 15:31 RAF Tornado's night flight pictured over Leeds
- 15:31 E-fit released in hunt for South Yorkshire burglars who threatened...
- 15:31 New Peugeot 508 2018 LEAKED pictures reveal car’s major redesign
- 15:30 Troy: Fall of a City: Who was King Priam? Was the Trojan king real?
- 15:30 Stand down – Ed Sheeran isn’t married despite wearing ‘wedding ring’
- 15:30 ‘When I think about him touching me, my flesh crawls’ Worksop man...
- 15:30 Welcome to Halifax: 'The Shoreditch of the North'
- 15:30 Mansfield man’s “terrifying” attack on ex-partner
- 15:29 Mansfield man’s “terrifying” attack on ex-partner
- 15:29 Agent admits Manchester United target Jorginho could leave Napoli
- 15:29 Victor Lindelof 'wants reassurances from Jose Mourinho over his...
- 15:29 Derbyshire man charged with the robbery of a 12-year-old girl
- 15:28 RAF Tornado's night flight pictured over Leeds
- 15:28 MPs endorse Labour council candidate who claimed ISIS doesn't exist
- 15:28 Travellers finally move on from Ellesmere Port Sports Village car park
- 15:25 RAF Tornado's night flight pictured over Leeds
- 15:25 Jeremy Wright MP urging Home Office to change mind on cannabis...
- 15:24 Five ways your local pharmacy can help your child 'stay well'
- 15:24 Derbyshire man charged with the robbery of a 12-year-old girl
- 15:24 Whitehaven Town Council to debate extreme protection measures
- 15:23 Lost Broadway songs make the stage at last
- 15:23 New driver jailed after crash caused death of two women from Spalding
- 15:22 Woman dies after nine-hour ambulance wait
- 15:22 Rail commuter who lost legs in fall has £1.9m claim rejected
- 15:22 What is the Windsor hum and is it really US Steel’s fault?
- 15:22 Samsung Galaxy S9 smartphone images leaked by MWC app
- 15:21 M62 Ainley Top shooting trial delayed by seven more months