Prime Minister to spend £250 million of taxpayers' money in preparation for hard 'no deal' Brexit
Theresa May promised to spend cash now in preparation for a hard “no deal” Brexit – just hours after Chancellor Philip Hammond ruled it out.
Speaking in the Commons, the Prime Minister revealed £250million of taxpayers’ money has been set aside to help departments plan for the UK leaving the EU without a trade deal.
She also announced the Treasury will soon set out how ministers can apply for extra cash to help with contingency planning.
Speaking at Prime Minister’s Questions, May said: “Where money needs to be spent it will be spent”.
Earlier, Hammond said funding for a no-deal plan would... read more
- 12:39 Harry Styles could now be the next James Bond as talk simmers...
- 12:39 Fans gather to mourn as Cranberries singer Dolores O’Riordan’s body...
- 12:39 Caption capers
- 12:39 Calm Grigor Dimitrov dumps angry home favourite Nick Kyrgios out to...
- 12:38 Weekly health walks are launched
- 12:37 Australian Open 2018: Grigor Dimitrov beats bad-tempered Nick...
- 12:37 "Our NHS is on the brink and needs funding"
- 12:35 Celebrity Big Brother ‘suffers security breach’ as two Youtubers...
- 12:35 Billionaire couple found hanged side-by-side at home were ‘murdered’
- 12:35 Cheshire health trust wins youngsters' mental health innovation award
- 12:34 Australian Open 2018: Kyle Edmund makes surprising claim after...
- 12:35 From Syria to Sutton: Area of Sanctuary’s support for refugees
- 12:34 Alexis Sanchez boards private jet in latest TWIST to Manchester...
- 12:34 Alexis Sanchez announcement delayed: Man Utd in no rush to confirm...
- 12:32 7 pubs and restaurants in Leicestershire that serve a great Sunday...
- 12:32 Grealish is tip-toeing his way through Aston Villa's Championship...
- 12:32 Why Alan Pardew was so pleased with West Brom - despite failing to...
- 12:32 Police target drivers in pensioner hunt
- 12:30 Game of Thrones season 8 cast: Who will be in the final series?
- 12:29 Two arrested on murder charge after man’s body found in garden
- 12:29 Alan Cumming makes £64K profit on ‘Indyref flat’ he bought in...
- 12:29 Snow warning for our region issued by Met Office
- 12:29 I am a feminist, so why am I desperate to have a traditional wedding?
- 12:29 This family has been growing record-breaking giant veg for...
- 12:28 From Syria to Sutton: Area of Sanctuary’s support for refugees
- 12:28 Alexis Sanchez boards plane to Manchester to complete Man Utd transfer
- 12:27 DR Congo: Anti-Kabila protests dispersed with tear gas
- 12:25 Michelle Keegan launches activewear collection with Very
- 12:25 Watch: Horrifying crash caused by overtaker not looking in mirrors
- 12:25 COLUMN: Simple steps you can take to ward off winter chills