Prime Minister refuses to stop "unsafe" maternity move
Prime Minister Theresa May has refused to intervene to stop consultant-led maternity services being removed from Whitehaven.
She claims that the majority of clinicians agree with the move - despite local obstetricians and midwives saying the opposite.
Her comments come in a letter to Copeland MP Jamie Reed, who called on the Prime Minister to step in urgently to prevent women in west Cumbria being forced to travel to Carlisle while in labour.
This plan, put forward by the Success Regime, is currently out to public consultation - with a meeting taking place in Whitehaven this afternoon.
But... read more
- 15:07 Burton Albion players deliver coaching sessions at Stanton School...
- 15:06 Prison sentence quashed for Sutton Bridge man caught with indecent...
- 15:06 Manhunt launched after 59 burglaries across the region including...
- 15:06 Spen cadets know the drill
- 15:06 We think this teenager may have failed her driving test
- 15:05 Space age lessons delight pupils
- 15:05 Inspector Darren McKie guilty of wife's murder
- 15:05 Premier League big six transfer spend by position: Where has all...
- 15:05 Revealed: What these 6 common stomach pains mean and how to fix...
- 15:04 Prezzo to shut 94 restaurants with 500 jobs axed
- 15:04 Teenage asylum seeker jailed for life over Parsons Green Tube bomb
- 15:04 Bassetlaw woman bought drugs at Christmas then forgot about them
- 15:04 £70 million bid boost for Grantham road plan
- 15:03 Space age lessons delight pupils
- 15:02 Dutch police detain 25 England fans overnight after drunken...
- 15:02 Afghanistan hold nerve to beat Ireland and reach Cricket World Cup
- 15:02 Space age lessons delight pupils
- 15:00 Scientist's store of rhino semen could save rare species
- 15:00 Parsons Green tube bomber Ahmed Hassan jailed for life
- 15:00 Bassetlaw woman bought drugs at Christmas then forgot about them
- 14:59 St Walburge's opened armed welcome back for resident peregrine falcons
- 14:59 Lancashire Police rated 'good' in latest inspection
- 14:58 Cyclist taken to hospital after collision with bus in Sunderland...
- 14:57 Stagecoach bus prices across Cumbria set to rise
- 14:56 Man tries to abduct girl from bus stop in Cleethorpes
- 14:56 Stagecoach bus prices across Cumbria set to rise
- 14:56 Scotland hit by rise in cyber sex crime
- 14:53 One Born Every Minute midwife cared for newborn then told mum she'd...
- 14:53 This pilot reveals all you need to know if you're afraid of flying
- 14:53 I’m determined to improve my cooking skills – first, to master the...