Prevent anti-extremism strategy 'fuelling distrust among Muslim communities'
The Government is facing renewed calls to overhaul its controversial Prevent anti-extremism strategy amid warnings that it is fuelling distrust among Muslim communities.
The independent reviewer of terror legislation, David Anderson QC, said some Muslims felt the programme - intended to stop people becoming radicalised - was targeting the practice of Islam itself.
While he acknowledged the fears were exaggerated, he said there needed to be greater openness on how the scheme was operating, with more dialogue with the communities involved, if trust was to be restored.
"There is a strong... read more
- 06:41 Middlesbrough turn down £6m Aston Villa offer for Jordan Rhodes -...
- 06:41 Steven Gerrard: Liverpool have to keep this star at Anfield
- 06:41 Thierry Henry: This Arsenal star could join Bayern Munich - Here’s why
- 06:40 UK Stocks-Factors to watch on Jan 19
- 06:40 Search to find Rushden’s unsung heroes
- 06:40 Tributes paid to former ET worker
- 06:40 Reassurance for Wellingborough residents concerned by number of...
- 06:39 North East news LIVE: Latest breaking news, sport, weather, traffic...
- 06:39 Horrific injuries after yob hurled brick through taxi window
- 06:39 Look: Raider holds knife to throat of Co-op worker in robbery
- 06:38 Stoke City news and transfer rumours LIVE: Shawcross hails...
- 06:38 Sleep rough for homeless
- 06:38 Drug service expands to Doncaster’s homeless
- 06:38 Improvement is needed for young people
- 06:38 Hartlepool United caretaker Sam Collins will have Pools ready for...
- 06:37 Man United deal eyed after national team warning: Club already in...
- 06:36 Allianz and Standard Chartered form bancassurance pact in Asia
- 06:34 Premier League stats: Who is the fastest attacker in the Premier...
- 06:33 In this week’s Herald . . .
- 06:32 Workers park van over three parking spaces at Morrisons
- 06:32 Spy-cam van patrols past school BEFORE parents break parking rules
- 06:32 Drivers say a complete ring road for Lincoln 'can't come soon enough'
- 06:31 U.S exchanges rent helicopter, drape banner in pursuit of Snapchat IPO
- 06:31 Asian investors see Trump stimulus sweet spot amid protectionism,...
- 06:28 British mothers drinking during pregnancy put us in worst five...
- 06:28 ‘Drug den’ in Spalding town centre disabled loo
- 06:28 'Unsafe' care home in Leek threatened with closure if drastic...
- 06:28 New escape rooms to open in Hanley
- 06:28 Northumberland Livestock
- 06:28 MP’s calls for link road action falls on deaf ears