Predatory bacteria can wipe out superbugs, says study
Predatory bacteria - that eat others of their kind - could be a new weapon in the fight against superbugs, say UK researchers.
Experiments showed a dose of Bdellovibrio bacteriovorus acted like a "living antibiotic" to help clear an otherwise lethal infection.
The animal studies, published in Current Biology, suggested there would be no side effects.
Experts said the approach was unusual, but should not be overlooked.
Fear of an antibiotic apocalypse, caused by growing levels of bacteria resisting the drugs, has led to scientists trying other approaches.
Bdellovibrio is a... read more
- 16:15 Nuneaton household's dazzling festive fundraiser
- 16:15 The big freeze: Some schools to remain closed for a THIRD day
- 16:15 Ross Barkley reveals scar after hamstring injury - but he is close...
- 16:15 Can you get sued for clearing snow and ice from your driveway?
- 16:15 Public hearing into Melton Local Plan to start next month
- 16:15 Repeat victim robbed at knifepoint after raiders broke into his...
- 16:15 Leeds student’s death - jury inquest continues
- 16:14 Mosque linked to ISIS Jihadi terror forced to install CCTV to...
- 16:14 Lakes hotel unveils £250k bedrooms revamp
- 16:14 South Cumbria pupils experience life as college students
- 16:14 Sports brand stays one step ahead with world first in footwear
- 16:14 Fire crews tackle blaze at Co-operative supermarket in Norton
- 16:14 40 cameras and the 'same people over and over': The battle against...
- 16:14 Ryanair pilots set to strike five days before Christmas
- 16:13 Strictly Come Dancing 2017: Alexandra Burke issued APOLOGY over...
- 16:13 Toto Wolff sets Valtteri Bottas task of overtaking F1 champion...
- 16:13 Motorway blocked after crash between two lorries and a car
- 16:13 Llandyrnog cheese plants defeats ice and snow to take delivery of...
- 16:13 Teams worked through the night
- 16:12 New deal secures future of Bakewell’s Agricultural Business Centre
- 16:12 The festive foods you can and can't feed your dogs and cats
- 16:12 Which supermarket is the cheapest Aldi or Lidl?
- 16:12 A great year for Building Bridges in Burnley
- 16:12 West Ham v Arsenal: Drop Alexis Sanchez and give Olivier Giroud and...
- 16:12 Marcos Rojo reveals gruesome head wound after Manchester United’s...
- 16:11 Arriva bus strike vote tonight: Facebook debate rages
- 16:11 Mum almost FIVE TIMES the drink drive limit drove on M62 with...
- 16:11 Toni Kroos urged to join Manchester United FC after tweet
- 16:11 Glenfield team saved life of baby with heart outside her body
- 16:10 Woman finds ‘pain in the ass’ written on her receipt