Pound under pressure following flash crash trade
The pound has been pummelled in the currency markets with traders blaming concerns over Brexit and a flash crash that hit the market in Asian trading.
In the early hours of Friday morning, the pound fell 6% to $1.1841 - the biggest move since the Brexit vote.
Analysts think a news report could have triggered automated trading systems to sell the pound heavily in a short space of time.
The pound later recovered some of those losses but remained volatile.
It was down 1.7% against the dollar at $1.2421, in afternoon trading in London, with analysts blaming concern over the UK's negotiations to... read more
- 20:49 Yaya Toure to West Ham growing likely: Free agent may join Manuel...
- 20:44 Hats off to team Warrington, the world champions
- 20:38 Fire crews tackle flat blaze
- 20:35 Rafael Nadal reveals SECRET to Italian Open final victory against...
- 20:33 Lincolnshire residents advised to order Bank Holiday prescriptions...
- 20:30 Cougar mauls cyclist to death and drags him away to den as injured...
- 20:29 Arsenal preparing to make Mikel Arteta announcement in the next week
- 20:29 Rangers news: Steven Gerrard appointment backed by former Celtic boss
- 20:27 Brackley Town lift FA Trophy after dramatic penalty shootout
- 20:26 Brackley Town lift FA Trophy after dramatic penalty shootout
- 20:23 Lincolnshire residents advised to order Bank Holiday prescriptions...
- 20:20 Street light felled in crash
- 20:15 Trump seeks probe into FBI election campaign 'infiltration'
- 20:13 Liverpool transfer news: Former Reds attacker wants Anfield return
- 20:11 Frankie Boyle criticises 'cowardly' BBC for Israel joke apology
- 20:11 It’s simple for Simon as Modeligo claims another Stratford success
- 20:10 Street light felled in crash
- 20:10 Woman cut free from crashed car
- 20:09 View from the Zoo: Wide-eyed arrivals settle in at Flamingo Land
- 20:08 John Bercow to face Andrea Leadsom after 'stupid woman' row
- 20:08 Boris Johnson lays wreath in Argentina for Falklands soldiers
- 20:08 Fire crews tackle flat blaze
- 19:57 Golfers in Hawaii don’t let volcano eruption get in the way of a round
- 19:55 Lord Mayor of Chester to lead anniversary event remembering...
- 19:51 Lincolnshire residents advised to order Bank Holiday prescriptions...
- 19:51 Pakistan and blunted Mohammad Abbas toil to draw with Leicestershire
- 19:51 Rafael Nadal fends off Alexander Zverev to secure Italian Open final
- 19:50 Lincolnshire residents advised to order Bank Holiday prescriptions...
- 19:48 Trump will ask justice department to look into campaign surveillance
- 19:46 David's delighted as Northants win at Nottinghamshire for first...