Pound hits 31-year low against the dollar
0 Have your say Sterling plunged to a new 31-year low against the dollar today as fears over a so-called “hard Brexit” intensified.
The pound fell 0.5 per cent against the greenback in morning trading to 1.276 US dollars, its lowest level since 1985.
Sterling was also down 0.2 per cent against the euro at 1.14. Investors have been alarmed by a series of announcements at the Conservative Party conference, where Theresa May said the two-year process of negotiating Brexit under Article 50 of the EU treaties will start by the end of March, putting the UK on course for a “hard Brexit”.
This... read more
- 11:44 Harry Redknapp: Why leaderless Arsenal need to sign Wayne Rooney
- 11:44 Motorway blocked after rush hour collision
- 11:43 Woman 'traumatised' after sex assault in Leeds
- 11:43 Safety warning issued over leaking gas hobs
- 11:43 What’s On around Harrogate: Your listings guide for the week ahead
- 11:43 Storm Doris flights: Is your journey affected as the weather bomb...
- 11:40 Jeremy Hunt calls for investigation into overnight closure of...
- 11:40 Storm Doris develops into ‘Weather Bomb’ say Met Office officials
- 11:40 Storm Doris leaves fallen trees blocking Boston roads
- 11:40 Derby County: Aston Villa's weekend opponents under the microscope
- 11:39 High winds cause speed restriction on Scarborough trains
- 11:39 Storm Doris: Can I claim compensation for a delayed flight?
- 11:39 ALERT: Public urged to unplug EXPLODING tumble dryers
- 11:39 VIDEO: The calm before Storm Doris
- 11:39 Frustrations increasing over travellers in Warwick
- 11:39 National Express raises free cash flow outlook on international demand
- 11:39 Eight dead and 20 injured after bombing in Pakistan shopping centre
- 11:39 Spanish club offers women free entry, drink & £85 if they go...
- 11:38 #FlyDSA: “My house to Paris in just three hours - I was amazed!”
- 11:38 Time extension for Pavilion Gardens marquee
- 11:38 Man arrested after two women stabbed in Huddersfield
- 11:38 Storm Doris develops into ‘Weather Bomb’ say Met Office officials
- 11:37 Health Column: Time to protest as Government is turning blind eye...
- 11:37 Router hacker suspect arrested at Luton Airport
- 11:37 What’s On around Harrogate: Your listings guide for the week ahead
- 11:37 Love a man in uniform? Not if you live in Burnley
- 11:37 Storm Doris develops into ‘Weather Bomb’ say Met Office officials
- 11:37 Burnley has been "misled and let down" by the Government
- 11:37 Safety warning issued over leaking gas hobs
- 11:37 HS2 high-speed rail project passes final hurdle