Pound falls as Theresa May sets Brexit process date
Sterling has fallen to its lowest level against the dollar since early July after the prime minister set a date for starting Brexit negotiations.
Theresa May said she would trigger Article 50, the clause needed to start the process, by the end of March 2017.
That means the UK is likely to leave the EU by mid-2019.
A short while ago the pound was down about 1% against the dollar at $1.2854 and nearly 1% against the euro at €1.1440.
Mrs May's announcement had "unsurprisingly, been bad news for the pound," said Connor Campbell, Spreadex financial analyst.
"Sterling has been... read more
- 06:45 Garden centre bids to build houses off Arnold cul-de-sac
- 06:45 COLUMN: The future nursing and care workforce
- 06:45 Another 25km of Nottingham gas pipes set for upgrade
- 06:45 Michael Bloomberg and George Osborne: New York points the way to...
- 06:45 Meet the eight-year-old litter picker cleaning up her neighbourhood
- 06:44 Drunk soldier licked police car and exposed himself in Derbyshire town
- 06:44 More than 35,000 driving convictions in Derbyshire last year
- 06:44 'Savage attack' victim 'felt face hit every step' as she was...
- 06:44 Mountain bikers raise concerns over cycle course ‘booby traps’
- 06:44 Breaking news live: Derby's latest traffic and travel updates
- 06:44 Anger after yob receives ‘joke’ sentence for leaving South Shields...
- 06:44 Emergency plans drawn up in Derby to cope with close encounter with...
- 06:44 Top 20 health fibs we tell others - and ourselves
- 06:42 Tot’s epilepsy battle inspires family in charity run
- 06:41 Burglar breaks into adult shop, watches porn and walks off with a...
- 06:40 B&Q injury warning over light fittings
- 06:40 Nintendo Switch launches this week: 8 things to know
- 06:40 TOWIE tans really do make men more attractive to women, suggests...
- 06:40 Antiques Column: Marbles – colourful collectors’ items
- 06:39 Fundraising page launched to help Talke Pits family after explosion
- 06:39 Tilly wants NHS England ‘change of heart’ on Glenfield
- 06:39 Join the Q for new Hanley pool hall
- 06:39 VIDEO: Mart's Brewery craft beers for now sale at Bottlecraft,...
- 06:39 82 jobs as Stoke-on-Trent firm IAE expands
- 06:39 MP Rob Flello to hold urgent talks after offal spill in Weston Coyney
- 06:39 And the winner is La La... no, it's Moonlight: Oscars Chaos as...
- 06:38 Free pancakes and sweet treats being given away by the Diocese of...
- 06:38 Leicester magistrate locks up youth, 17, and tells him: "We don't...
- 06:38 Claudio Ranieri: fan travels 300 miles to blow kiss at mural of...
- 06:38 Chester Northgate Development survey works in the city centre