Pound falls against euro and dollar after retail sales disappoint
Sterling fell to $1.242 and €1.166 after reaching a two-month high against the eurozone currency earlier in the week.
Markets sold off the pound amid fears household spending power has been hit by higher inflation.
Annual growth came in at 1.5 per cent, a marked slowdown from 4.1 per cent in December.
Britain's currency fell as markets decided the fall could mean an interest rate hike by the Bank of England has been pushed further into the distance.
It comes after inflation hit its highest level in more than two years last month.
Crucially, wages are still rising faster than the cost of... read more
- 00:46 MPs criticise George Osborne for accepting editor’s job without...
- 00:39 West Ham star makes big admission: This has been our problem this...
- 00:39 Leon Britton reveals inspiration for Swansea's fight against...
- 00:39 Mauricio Pochettino: I was right to make this decision against Chelsea
- 00:39 Cesc Fabregas tells Eden Hazard: Do this and you’ll be better than...
- 00:39 Arsenal 2 - Manchester City 1: Alexis Sanchez sends Gunners into FA...
- 00:39 Who won the London Marathon 2017? Results, prize money and more
- 00:39 Robin Goodfellow's racing tips: Best bets for Monday, April 24
- 00:39 Harry Kane sends message to Chelsea after FA Cup defeat: We're...
- 00:35 Motoring groups welcome tougher punishments for speeding offences
- 00:33 Wayne Rooney sends huge warning to Manchester City ahead of derby...
- 00:33 Barcelona v Real Marid: Luis Enrique reveals the secret to...
- 00:31 Major breakthrough in search for cause of MS
- 00:30 Pep Guardiola failing to make the grade in the Premier League with...
- 00:30 Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha: This is why we lost to Celtic in the...
- 00:29 Futures rally after centrist takes first round in French election
- 00:29 Afghan Taliban's brazen attack eclipses Trump's 'mother of all bombs'
- 00:26 Period details of horror, from the Victorian era to today
- 00:26 Why ‘Anywheres’ ignore ‘Somewheres’ at their peril
- 00:26 The Good Book of the Manics
- 00:26 City have it all to do after first-leg loss
- 00:26 Gift of the Gab gives Bruce derby day spoils
- 00:26 Sinclair dreams of the perfect treble
- 00:26 How Ofcom meddling is harming the communications sector
- 00:26 Never believe predictions, especially about the future
- 00:26 Is private property peculiar to capitalism and do socialists want...
- 00:26 Overturning the rigged system
- 00:26 Syria: Government captures more ground in Hama province
- 00:26 Marine Le Pen says France’s survival ‘at stake’ in impassioned...
- 00:26 Afghanistan: President declares day of mourning