Post-Brexit, EU's military powers argue for common defences
France, Germany, Italy and Spain have joined forces to plead for a common European defence policy, seeking to keep up momentum on a project Paris and Berlin hope can forge unity following Britain's vote to quit the bloc.
In a joint letter seen by Reuters on Wednesday, the defence ministers of the four countries wrote to their counterparts, including Britain, to set out how the 27 remaining governments would share assets and deepen cooperation in EU missions.
"To be clear: an 'EU army' is not our objective," said the letter, which has been sent to European capitals this week,... read more
- 12:20 Cuts will see schools fall in league tables
- 12:20 Trojans get reality check in home loss to Saddleworth
- 12:20 Sharks push title favourites all the way in narrow defeat
- 12:20 More support for victims of domestic abuse in Derbyshire
- 12:19 More support for victims of domestic abuse in Derbyshire
- 12:19 Sinister online bullying craze sweeps UK classrooms - everything...
- 12:19 Everton FC linked with striking reinforcements
- 12:19 Sir Alex Ferguson says modern day players not prepared to be managers
- 12:19 Police appeal after man attacked in car near Nont Sarah's pub
- 12:18 The clocks are set to change - and this is how to get your kids to...
- 12:18 Flight laptop ban: How it affects passengers and all you need to know
- 12:18 London terrorist attack: Look inside the Birmingham flat raided by...
- 12:18 Work to improve two Kenilworth parks set to start soon
- 12:18 Fire under Warwick canal bridge
- 12:17 Stage is set for Burgham International Trials
- 12:17 Senior officers consider more armed police patrols on...
- 12:17 Northumberland girls to the fore in National Championships
- 12:17 London attack: Reaction from North-East politicians
- 12:16 Delays in Garstang following crash
- 12:15 Men's fashion business Eighty Eight Store looking to open new...
- 12:15 New tax rules set to hit thousands of public sector contract...
- 12:14 Valerie Surgenor: The impact of privacy rule changes
- 12:14 Jobs lost as Carlisle city shop set to close
- 12:14 Police investigate after driver accused of indecent exposure to...
- 12:13 Baby Connor McCue diagnosed with cerebral palsy - months after...
- 12:13 VIDEO: Seagulls take advantage of discarded rubbish on bin day in...
- 12:13 Developer wants to build 120 new homes in Buxton
- 12:13 Brexit: What is Article 50 and when will it be triggered? A guide...
- 12:12 Birmingham sky bars - what we have and what's coming
- 12:12 Classy Aston Villa ticket gesture for Reading fans