Portugal president vetoes taxman's automatic access to bank accounts
Portugal's president on Friday vetoed a government decree that would have given the tax service information on all bank accounts holding more than 50,000 euros (£43,253), citing its likely harmful impact on a weak banking system and economic recovery.
In a statement, the centrist President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, who has so far had a good working relationship with the left-leaning Socialist government since taking office in March, said the bill was "politically inopportune".
As part of its fight on tax evasion, the government wanted banks to lift their secrecy rules and... read more
- 13:01 Letters - November 24, 2017
- 13:01 A 1960s kettle and a toastie maker from 1985 - our oldest...
- 13:01 Marstons Chicken Shop launches Festive Fillet Sandwich for Christmas
- 13:01 Everything you need to know before you get eyelash extensions
- 13:01 Black Friday shopping might ruin your sex life
- 13:01 Defiant Coleen Rooney tells people not to feel sorry for her for...
- 13:00 Cristiano Ronaldo blocks Real Madrid from signing Lionel Messi's...
- 13:00 Leeds news: Mateusz Klich has fans worried after posting cryptic tweet
- 13:00 Jack Wilshere Arsenal exit: 10 clubs he could join in January...
- 12:58 Amazon accused of ‘ruining Christmas’ over lack of packaging
- 12:58 WITH VIDEO: Police deal with multiple ice-related crashes in Cumbria
- 12:57 Michael Owen makes horse racing debut
- 12:57 Seven laws you might be breaking in your own garden without...
- 12:57 Soldier’s family hounded out of house by neighbour who told them ‘I...
- 12:56 The BEST five restaurants in Tamworth according to Tripadvisor
- 12:56 The emotional moment Danny Fox's family express 'bitter...
- 12:56 Coventry cyber expert says trolls targeted Brexit vote
- 12:56 Pound V euro: GBP exchange rate rally short lived as UK mortgage...
- 12:55 This Morning’s Phil Vickery apologies to Eamonn Holmes after...
- 12:54 Grayson gets first start as Saints head to Sale
- 12:54 Sale Sharks v Northampton Saints: Tom Vickers' match preview
- 12:54 Everybody's talking about Jamie review: A palpable hit
- 12:54 The William Hill Sports Book Of The Year awards: Who will win?
- 12:52 Have you spotted these quirky Christmas treats in any Derbyshire...
- 12:52 NO ESCAPE: North Korea military dig TRENCH at Demilitarised Zone...
- 12:52 Who is the new President of Zimbabwe? The Crocodile takes over from...
- 12:51 Masterson piles praise on youthful Bears side
- 12:51 Future looks bright for Leamington ABC
- 12:51 Coffee morning at Horncastle Community Centre
- 12:50 Town’s tribute to Liam, the ‘nicest guy on earth’