Pope makes surprise visit to town devastated by Italy earthquake
Pope Francis on Tuesday made a surprise visit to Amatrice, one of the towns hardest hit by an earthquake that struck central Italy in August, killing nearly 300 people.
The Vatican kept the trip secret until he arrived.
The pope first visited a makeshift school and was then due to see people who have been forced to live in tents, with most of the buildings in Amatrice either levelled or considered too badly damaged to live in.
He was later expected to go to the so-called "red zone", which covers the centre of Amatrice and is closed off to the public because it is still highly... read more
- 06:49 Birmingham obesity crisis to cost city health services £2 billion...
- 06:49 Drugs gang member jailed after £125m smuggling scam loses appeal
- 06:48 Holme House prison to host 'jobs fair' to help improve employment...
- 06:48 Missiles hurled at WhatsApp paedophile's house by vigilantes
- 06:48 Millions of Brits risking home security
- 06:48 Blanket ban on off-licence bids in South Holland put back
- 06:45 Louth teenager has been missing since Sunday
- 06:45 Focus on the league, but Rafa Benitez eyes cup success at Newcastle...
- 06:43 SE Asia Stocks-Lower; Philippines slides as U.S. alliance worries...
- 06:43 Paul Beatty is first American to win Man Booker Prize for The Sellout
- 06:43 Theresa May ‘told bankers about Brexit dangers before ref’
- 06:42 Toyota to recall 5.8 million cars in Japan, China, Europe over...
- 06:41 'My scars make me feel happy and proud': Man born with heart defect...
- 06:41 UFC News: Alvarez slams McGregor, Couture on St-Pierre, Jones sends...
- 06:39 Great Boughton school library to close to the public
- 06:38 VIDEO: Dramatic footage shows suspect covered in cash as cops...
- 06:38 ‘Massive’ fly tip of 50 corrugated asbestos sheets in Old Leake is...
- 06:36 Police and council urge direct action to tackle begging
- 06:35 Disruption expected as Post Office managers stage 24-hour strike
- 06:35 New picture issued of woman who has been missing for six days
- 06:35 Single parents in Nottingham owed more than £12m in child maintenance
- 06:35 Nottingham's Monster of literature launched in time for Hallowe'en
- 06:33 North East is ‘driving force’, says NHS boss
- 06:33 Council now plans to finish job in one stint
- 06:33 Derby man called his mum after attacking victim to say 'I have slit...
- 06:33 10 of the North East’s most haunted places to visit this Halloween
- 06:33 Hartlepool headteacher receives OBE from the Queen
- 06:32 Chip pans ban call after man flees Sheffield house blaze
- 06:32 UK Stocks-Factors to watch on Oct 26
- 06:27 New Zealand's top spot as easiest place to do business has...