Pope Francis left red-faced after Catholics in Georgia fail to show at mass
Ex-Soviet Georgia is overwhelmingly Orthodox Christian and less than 1 percent of the population is Catholic, according to government figures.
Still, organisers were hoping for a much bigger turnout than the some 3,000 people who came to the Mass at a stadium in the capital that has a capacity of 25,000.
It was one of the smallest crowds ever seen at an outdoor papal Mass on Francis' 16 foreign trips so far.
In another setback, a delegation representing the Patriarch of the Georgian Orthodox Church, Ilia II, that the Vatican had expected to come to the worship service, did not show up.
Two... read more
- 20:44 The charred Soyuz craft that took Tim Peake to space and back will...
- 20:44 The REAL paleo diet: More than 9,000 plant remains reveal...
- 20:44 BMW employees use remote locking technology to trap car thief...
- 20:44 Fault near Kathmandu could produce magnitude 8 or greater...
- 20:44 How life first walked on land: Four-legged fossils found in...
- 20:44 Woman freed from car after seven vehicle accident on A500 in Weston
- 20:40 Farage campaigns in front of misspelt constituency poster
- 20:39 Jamie Carragher singles out this Liverpool player for criticism: He...
- 20:35 FA Cup draw: All the third round ties as the Premier League big...
- 20:35 Prem boss: This is why Liverpool lost to Bournemouth
- 20:31 Picnics are back at the Pastures concert
- 20:30 New Zealand prime minister John Key annouces shock resignation
- 20:30 When is Basel v Arsenal? TV channel, date, kick-off time and odds
- 20:29 Arsenal star played like he had a point to prove against West Ham:...
- 20:28 Brexit: EU nationals 'will need documentation to stay in UK'
- 20:28 Plans cut to withdraw benefits from obese
- 20:26 Recap: FA Cup third-round draw, Burton Albion drawn away at Premier...
- 20:25 Revealed: Planned proposals for 250 new homes on green fields near...
- 20:25 Chinese buy President Xi and David Cameron visit pub
- 20:24 TIM FROHWEIN INQUEST: Police search for tragic Chief Inspector was...
- 20:22 Victoria and Albert Museum to display Tommy Cooper's fez
- 20:22 Community-minded couple to launch Christmas event
- 20:22 TIM FROHWEIN INQUEST: 'We loved him deeply and we always shall'
- 20:21 Premier League boss reveals the tactics he used to beat Liverpool
- 20:19 Duncan Watmore out for the season after injuring his knee in...
- 20:18 Bus firms reveal Christmas timetable for Burton and South Derbyshire
- 20:18 WATCH: Burton family's journey to start new life in Africa told in...
- 20:17 A52 congestion-busting work set to start in June next year
- 20:17 Man suffers 'horrific' injuries in attack at Derby's Walkabout bar
- 20:17 More change for pupils as school put in 'special measures' by Ofsted