News from Politics
The Trident troubles and Trump presidency should trigger a complete re-think on our defence, writes Lesley Riddoch “For many decades, we’ve … subsidized the armies of other countries, while allowing for the very sad depletion of our military. We’ve defen
Theresa May and Donald Trump will hold talks this week on slashing tariffs on existing trade between Britain and the United States and making it easier for workers to move between the two countries, it has been reported. The Prime Minister will be the fi
Confidence among Britain’s financial services firms dropped again in the last three months of 2016, although some sectors forecast an improvement in business conditions in the current quarter, according to research published today. The latest survey of f
ALEX Salmond’s former spin doctor has predicted a Yes vote would triumph if a referendum for Scottish independence was held in 2018. Kevin Pringle said he believed the Yes side would be successful next year due to the “Brexit situation”. Speaking on BBC
The First Minister is caught in her own Groundhog Day. She goes to bed every night hoping that tomorrow will be different, but every morning she wakens up to find we are still leaving the European Union. How often does the First Minister have to set her
Barely a day into his presidency and Donald Trump has fired a broadside – another one – at the US media. That his grievance is over the numbers of people who attended his inauguration compared with the attendance at Barack Obama’s inauguration borders
Justice for all should mean equal justice and humane justice. It is clear from the reports we carry today that the Crown Office are creaking at the seams when it comes to providing basic services to the victims and relatives of crime. At one end of the c
By the time you’re reading this, unless you’re a very early bird, I’ll be on my way to London for one of my regular visits to promote Scotland as a great place to live, work and do business. It’s an important part of my job - and it is made so much easie
Theresa May is facing calls to come clean over a failed test of the Trident nuclear deterrent amid claims the government acted like North Korea in covering up the incident. The Prime Minister failed to answer several direct questions on her knowledge of
SNP MPs at Westminster will vote against the Article 50 to trigger Brexit and the “clock is ticking” towards a second independence referendum, Scotland Brexit minister Michael Russell has said. He insisted the 54 Nationalist MPs would not back the “inwar
The Scottish Government is under growing pressure to water down its Budget proposals or face the prospect of it being rejected at Holyrood after Labour called for the opposition to “unite” against the spending plans. Proposals to axe £327 million from d
House price growth in Britain’s new towns has outperformed the national average, a report has found. Livingston is Scotland’s best performer in terms of house price growth, the report found, with a 423 per cent rise over the past 30 years in the average
Agency nurses are being paid a “staggering” £1,500 a shift by Scottish hospitals as they struggle cover staffing shortages. The payouts have been branded a “slap in the face” to staff nurses who are working for a “fraction of the price”. Figures uncovere
Police have warned they expect to see a rise in human trafficking cases as a result of laws that put an onus on public bodies to raise concerns. The Human Trafficking and Exploitation (Scotland) Act requires those working in the public sector to notify
Reports that a Trident missile, a critical component of the UK’s defence system, veered off course during a test last June cannot but be of concern. That the incident took place before a crucial Commons vote on renewal of the Trident system and that Pr
- 10:49 VIDEO: Tapping for joy at the Roy Castle Tapathon
- 10:47 Chelsea captain John Terry posts message of support to Ryan Mason...
- 10:47 Benfica manager addresses rumours of Goncalo Guedes transfer to...
- 10:47 Manchester United agree midfielder deal: 21-year-old set for medical
- 10:47 Car abandoned after being chased through Blackpool town centre
- 10:45 Woman suffers life-changing injuries in A45 crash near Wellingborough
- 10:45 BUSINESS DAIRY: Events taking place in the coming weeks
- 10:45 Woodhouse Day Nursery in Woodhouse Eaves was shut down for...
- 10:45 Emmerdale spoiler videos: Debbie Dingle returns as Gabby Thomas...
- 10:44 Madonna says White House comments 'taken out of context'
- 10:44 LISTEN to the heroic 999 call from a Telford toddler which helped...
- 10:44 EMERGING MARKETS-Fading dollar lifts emerging stocks, currencies
- 10:44 Trump White House to brief media amid 'alternative facts' row
- 10:43 Unsettled weather later in the week
- 10:42 Kelechi Iheanacho's dad gives update on striker's Man City future
- 10:42 These stunning images give an aerial tour across Merseyside
- 10:42 Brownlee brothers named among UK's most influential people.
- 10:42 Burning your toast could increase cancer risk, experts say
- 10:41 China cracks down on unauthorized internet connections
- 10:41 Six points and £200 - tough new penalty for mobile use behind the...
- 10:41 Image released of man in connection with theft in Northampton of...
- 10:40 Man blinded by chef with chilli powder after complaining about...
- 10:40 What it’s like to talk to your GP about your mental health
- 10:39 Shkodran Mustafi looking to continue impressive unbeaten run at...
- 10:39 One lane closed on M61
- 10:39 Algeria need a minor miracle in order to progress to the knockout...
- 10:39 Billy’s delight at his internet success
- 10:39 The dental nurse who became an alligator catcher
- 10:39 Charity offers trio of opportunities to make a difference for...
- 10:39 South Korea ministry apologises over artists' blacklist