Police, students clash in South Africa capital in fees protest
Police in the South African capital Pretoria clashed with students who burnt tires and erected barricades in protest at university fees on Wednesday, a day after President Jacob Zuma appointed a special team to help end weeks of protests.
The often violent demonstrations over the cost of university education, which is prohibitive for many black students, have highlighted frustration at enduring inequalities more than two decades after the end of apartheid.
Zuma on Tuesday formed a ministerial team to help end the protests but his government has said education subsidies should not come at... read more
- 18:15 U.S. stocks pare gains after Trump's inaugural speech
- 18:14 Saido Berahino's West Bromwich Albion timeline nears completion
- 18:14 Businessman Zahid Khan quizzed in car number plate fraud investigation
- 18:14 Buyout approach lodged for Uttoxeter company Fox's Biscuits
- 18:14 Care home hits out at councils who provide 15-minute home care...
- 18:13 Chinese club plot move for Leeds star after missing out on Chelsea...
- 18:13 Confirmed: Steven Gerrard seals return to Liverpool - this is what...
- 18:13 Beverley man Mark Weaver guilty of 'wilful obstruction' in Black...
- 18:13 BREAKING: Ultrafast broadband boost for 4,500 Louth homes and business
- 18:13 Family of missing Molly Davidson search London for signs of her
- 18:11 Hillary's HUMILIATION: Clinton stony-faced as Trump rises and...
- 18:11 Xbox One Scorpio NEWS: Project Scorpio price could be a PROBLEM
- 18:10 Huge Liverpool news: Steven Gerrard confirms return to Anfield
- 18:10 'Baby shake' death trial: Jury retires to consider verdic
- 18:10 Lanes closed after three-vehicle collision on M42 near Tamworth and...
- 18:09 COURT REGISTER
- 18:08 More 'spotters' at Huddersfield Town games to reduce policing bill
- 18:08 'Road rage' victim suffers broken nose and eye socket
- 18:07 Finance ministers seek Treasury clarity on economic plans
- 18:06 Chelsea News: Conte's secret weapon, conspiracy theory, transfer...
- 18:04 'Please save our jobs' say Dee Valley Water workers as crunch court...
- 18:04 Steven Gerrard returns to Liverpool as Academy coach as club...
- 18:03 Saido Berahino transfer latest: Stoke agree terms with West Brom...
- 18:03 11 lost buildings of Coventry that are gone but not forgotten
- 18:00 Per Mertesacker shows love for Arsenal with response to signing...
- 17:58 Lucky escape for driver after head-on crash in Goole
- 17:58 Quad bike vandals leave trail of destruction on Leeds golf course
- 17:58 A38 at Branston to remain closed for THREE more hours
- 17:57 Girl, 4, killed after months of cruelty by mother and her...
- 17:57 Obama’s inauguration was very different