Police ‘overwhelmed’ as 67 people go missing every day
A senior officer at Yorkshire’s largest police force has warned that the service risks being overwhelmed by the number of missing persons it has to deal with after the number of cases rose by 25 per cent in a year.
An investigation found there were 24,653 reported cases across the region in the 12 months up to June 30 – the equivalent of 67 every day.
The number of people going missing has risen sharply West and South Yorkshire Police handled almost 19,000 of those cases between them, with one in four involving a child in care.
It is the apparent failure to stop children going repeatedly... read more
- 06:48 Millions of Brits risking home security
- 06:48 Blanket ban on off-licence bids in South Holland put back
- 06:45 Louth teenager has been missing since Sunday
- 06:45 Focus on the league, but Rafa Benitez eyes cup success at Newcastle...
- 06:43 SE Asia Stocks-Lower; Philippines slides as U.S. alliance worries...
- 06:43 Paul Beatty is first American to win Man Booker Prize for The Sellout
- 06:43 Theresa May ‘told bankers about Brexit dangers before ref’
- 06:42 Toyota to recall 5.8 million cars in Japan, China, Europe over...
- 06:41 'My scars make me feel happy and proud': Man born with heart defect...
- 06:41 UFC News: Alvarez slams McGregor, Couture on St-Pierre, Jones sends...
- 06:39 Great Boughton school library to close to the public
- 06:38 VIDEO: Dramatic footage shows suspect covered in cash as cops...
- 06:38 ‘Massive’ fly tip of 50 corrugated asbestos sheets in Old Leake is...
- 06:36 Police and council urge direct action to tackle begging
- 06:35 Disruption expected as Post Office managers stage 24-hour strike
- 06:35 New picture issued of woman who has been missing for six days
- 06:35 Single parents in Nottingham owed more than £12m in child maintenance
- 06:35 Nottingham's Monster of literature launched in time for Hallowe'en
- 06:33 North East is ‘driving force’, says NHS boss
- 06:33 Council now plans to finish job in one stint
- 06:33 Derby man called his mum after attacking victim to say 'I have slit...
- 06:33 10 of the North East’s most haunted places to visit this Halloween
- 06:33 Hartlepool headteacher receives OBE from the Queen
- 06:32 Chip pans ban call after man flees Sheffield house blaze
- 06:32 UK Stocks-Factors to watch on Oct 26
- 06:27 New Zealand's top spot as easiest place to do business has...
- 06:25 Venezuela opposition to protest Maduro 'dictatorship'
- 06:23 Karamoko Dembele will play for Scotland if we have anything to do...
- 06:23 Joey Barton set to face Rangers chiefs tomorrow with his future...
- 06:23 Ally McCoist says Mark Warburton deserves to be given time and...