Police ‘overwhelmed’ as 67 people go missing every day
A senior officer at Yorkshire’s largest police force has warned that the service risks being overwhelmed by the number of missing persons it has to deal with after the number of cases rose by 25 per cent in a year.
An investigation found there were 24,653 reported cases across the region in the 12 months up to June 30 – the equivalent of 67 every day.
The number of people going missing has risen sharply West and South Yorkshire Police handled almost 19,000 of those cases between them, with one in four involving a child in care.
It is the apparent failure to stop children going repeatedly... read more
- 14:10 Obituary: Peter Vaughan
- 14:08 World and UK snooker champion Mark Selby could get civic reception...
- 14:07 Burton's 'Golden Oldies' travelled to London to wow Westminster
- 14:07 Man United Transfer News: Midfielder eyed, winger update, Everton...
- 14:07 Charlie Nicholas: Why Chelsea will lose their advantage over Arsenal
- 14:06 Inquiry after firearm found on Aberdeen university campus
- 14:06 Futures flat as oil rally pauses
- 14:05 New owner for Cumbrian cinema
- 14:04 Philippines police are killing 97% of drug suspects they shoot in...
- 14:04 Manchester United scout Ramon Carvalho ahead of potential transfer
- 14:04 Melton Festival of Cribs was “another amazing spectacle”
- 14:04 There’s a pharaoh chill in the theatre - but panto bosses vow the...
- 14:03 Oil firm Statoil makes first investment in solar tech
- 14:03 Asda strikes festive deal with Scots snack maker
- 14:02 Full face glitter is one beauty trend we won’t be trying
- 14:02 The idiot's guide to spread betting
- 14:01 Online bookings come to The Pods
- 14:01 Game of Thrones and Porridge star Peter Vaughan dies aged 93
- 14:01 Let us know your thoughts in our Christmas tree poll - star or...
- 14:00 Share your Christmas lights pictures with us
- 14:00 Woman raped 43,000 times now travels world helping victims of...
- 14:00 Cleator Moor man charged with arson
- 13:59 Seat unveils the Leon Cupra 300 - its most powerful car yet
- 13:58 Merkel to seek new term amid asylum row
- 13:58 'We want Freeport Talke to stay open - and Primark and New Look to...
- 13:56 Lancaster’s 650 space Park and Ride to open this week
- 13:55 Apparently exercise may be the key to having better sperm
- 13:54 Jamie Redknapp: Why this Chelsea star does not fit into Antonio...
- 13:53 Church of England to close Surrey care home due to lack of staff
- 13:52 Woman in 'life-threatening' condition after crash