Police forces make more than £1.6m by scrapping or selling cars seized from uninsured drivers in first six months of 2016
Police forces in England and Wales have generated more than £1.6 million in revenue this year by selling or scrapping cars that were being driven by uninsured motorists, new research has revealed.
Forces confirmed they had confiscated in excess of 22,594 vehicles by mid-June, with 2,866 of these being sold at auction for a total of £1.4m - cash that has gone back into police funds, a Churchill Car Insurance study has said.
Another 6,827 of the cars commandeered from drivers without insurance or a valid licence have also been crushed, raising an additional £279,253 in scrap value for... read more
- 21:07 Manchester City star Raheem Sterling splashes out on £3.1m family home
- 21:06 Sheffield region in line for £37.8 million for Northern Powerhouse...
- 21:05 How the FA can give Aston Villa the power in the Ross McCormack...
- 21:05 What IS a good night's sleep? From nodding off in 30 minutes to...
- 21:04 Education progress in Derby 'still lagging behind' but more skills...
- 21:03 Neighbours tell of shock after vehicles set on fire in Wallasey
- 21:02 Brazil team-mate lifts lid on striker's Chelsea transfer move
- 21:02 Gerard Deulofeu explains why he quit Everton
- 21:01 BREAKING: Pilot dead after plane crashes at airport
- 20:58 Everton complete midfielder transfer: Medical passed, boss speaks out
- 20:58 Ryan Mason's family 'overwhelmed' by support after Hull City...
- 20:57 Algeria crash out of the Africa Cup of Nations as Leicester City...
- 20:55 Exiled Gambian ruler accused of stealing millions of pounds
- 20:55 China closes 111 golf courses to save water and land
- 20:53 Mexico's Pena Nieto outlines goals for talks with Trump
- 20:53 Nigeria: Babies used in suicide bombings, officials warn
- 20:51 If the government loses its Supreme Court appeal what happens next?
- 20:47 'An angel was sent from above to come down and carry you': Listen...
- 20:45 Residents tell of parking 'nightmare' outside Derby primary school
- 20:45 Resident Evil 7 Reviews: The final verdict for Biohazard
- 20:44 All part of a plan: Saido Berahino joining youngest Stoke team in a...
- 20:42 Paolo Maldini reveals huge Arsenal and Chelsea transfer news
- 20:40 'It's the portal to the upside down world!' Southern California...
- 20:40 Mining, fracking and construction are increasingly triggering...
- 20:40 The mystery of New England's 1816 'year without a summer':...
- 20:40 Burst pipe hits water supplies around Craven Arms prompting repairs
- 20:38 Chelsea plot swoop on AC Milan: Blues keen on veteran
- 20:38 Star man in fitness race: He could miss huge Liverpool v...
- 20:37 Role models project is creating a mosaic of future Yorkshire talent
- 20:36 Role models project is creating a mosaic of future Yorkshire talent