Police forces make more than £1.6m by scrapping or selling cars seized from uninsured drivers in first six months of 2016
Police forces in England and Wales have generated more than £1.6 million in revenue this year by selling or scrapping cars that were being driven by uninsured motorists, new research has revealed.
Forces confirmed they had confiscated in excess of 22,594 vehicles by mid-June, with 2,866 of these being sold at auction for a total of £1.4m - cash that has gone back into police funds, a Churchill Car Insurance study has said.
Another 6,827 of the cars commandeered from drivers without insurance or a valid licence have also been crushed, raising an additional £279,253 in scrap value for... read more
- 15:47 Manchester arena blast: Liam Gallagher leads celebrity tributes
- 15:46 First victims of Manchester Arena attack named
- 15:46 Fires keep being started in woods, say police
- 15:46 Leeds United News: Garry Monk to extend contract as club target...
- 15:46 Irish lenders need to speed reduction in non-performing loans -...
- 15:46 Men arrested after Banbury stabbing
- 15:45 Sir Roger Moore dies: his best roles from James Bond to The Saint
- 15:45 Why Liam Payne 'struggled' over Cheryl's decision to name son Bear
- 15:45 Vic Reeves signs up for Coronation Street role
- 15:45 Downton Abbey star Hugh Bonneville has his say on possible movie
- 15:45 Heckles, applause and mocking laughter at Kenilworth and Southam...
- 15:45 Liam Payne set to top charts with debut solo single Strip That Down
- 15:45 These are the Manchester terror attack victims
- 15:45 Former CIA director says discussed election hacking with Moscow in...
- 15:44 Open Air Theatre shows to go ahead as normal following Manchester...
- 15:44 Wrenthorpe couple badly hurt in Manchester Arena terrorist attack
- 15:44 Radio 1 Big Weekend adds extra security measures after Manchester...
- 15:43 Scarborough student caught up in Manchester terror attack
- 15:43 Wrenthorpe couple badly hurt in Manchester Arena terrorist attack
- 15:43 Rugby to hold vigil instead of hustings
- 15:43 Delivery Hero set to list before summer break: sources
- 15:43 Fidelity to allow clients to see digital currencies on website
- 15:43 Can you help police find missing 16-year-old Kyra?
- 15:42 Ariana Grande fans claim their bags weren’t checked at...
- 15:42 EasyJet plane at Gatwick is evacuated due to ‘mysterious white powder’
- 15:42 Boris Johnson confronted by furious heckler over broken Brexit bus...
- 15:42 Wrenthorpe couple badly hurt in Manchester Arena terrorist attack
- 15:42 Adlington vigil tonight for Manchester victims
- 15:41 Georges St-Pierre will fight for the welterweight title - Dana White
- 15:41 Barcelona ready to stun Man United with ambitious transfer raid for...