Police forces make more than £1.6m by scrapping or selling cars seized from uninsured drivers in first six months of 2016
Police forces in England and Wales have generated more than £1.6 million in revenue this year by selling or scrapping cars that were being driven by uninsured motorists, new research has revealed.
Forces confirmed they had confiscated in excess of 22,594 vehicles by mid-June, with 2,866 of these being sold at auction for a total of £1.4m - cash that has gone back into police funds, a Churchill Car Insurance study has said.
Another 6,827 of the cars commandeered from drivers without insurance or a valid licence have also been crushed, raising an additional £279,253 in scrap value for... read more
- 16:41 Skegness woman’s appeal brings Christmas to children’s ward
- 16:36 Potential investors in Hull City spotted at KCOM Stadium ahead of...
- 16:36 'Ecstasy' teenager found dead in Manchester hotel
- 16:35 Sporting success for high school
- 16:34 Primary schools in Lincolnshire rated as best performers in East...
- 16:33 Youth football coach allowed to keep working after child sex...
- 16:33 Watford 3-2 Everton: Stefano Okaka brace stuns the Toffees as...
- 16:33 Writer AA Gill dies after short battle with cancer
- 16:33 Arsenal star Mesut Ozil hits goal scoring milestone with header v...
- 16:32 Council warns residents about 'misleading' flyer
- 16:30 Upper crust pork pie victory by Haighs Shop
- 16:30 Kirklees man arrested over impersonating police officer
- 16:28 Writer AA Gill dies after short battle with cancer
- 16:28 Taxi driver who raped a teenage passenger jailed for 10 years
- 16:25 University tells students ‘don’t dress like Kim Kardashian’...
- 16:25 Hull City fans protest against Allam ownership in front of Anlaby...
- 16:25 ‘Good’ result for Leicestershire Police in latest HMIC inspection
- 16:24 Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder
- 16:21 Search for Good Samaritan after woman sexually assaulted
- 16:19 Is your old Nokia or Motorola mobile phone worth up to £1,000?
- 16:18 Upper crust pork pie victory by Haighs Shop
- 16:18 Kirklees man arrested over impersonating police officer
- 16:16 Arsenal star Hector Bellerin takes 17 minutes to underlain his...
- 16:16 INTERVIEW: Anders Lustgarten
- 16:16 Dramatic picture shows car on its roof after crash in Stenson...
- 16:15 Flooded nursery heading into 2017 on a high
- 16:14 Man United Transfer News: Dimitri Payet swap deal, Divock Origi...
- 16:14 WATCH: Santa Claus is coming to town for Marston's Christmas Festival
- 16:14 Killer drivers to face life sentences in plans put forward by...
- 16:13 Accident closes busy South Yorkshire road