Police deal with modern slavery offences in Cumbria
Between September last year and August the county's police force say they've dealt with eight offences which come under the Modern Slavery Act.
Of these, two were in north Cumbria, five were in the west of the county and one in the south.
The offences included labour exploitation, sexual exploitation and forced or compulsory labour.
Cumbria Police have released the shocking figures as they today join in with a regional week-long campaign to raise awareness of modern day slavery and human trafficking.
Detective Inspector Craig Smith said: "People may have the misconception that modern... read more
- 16:00 Sick of people parking in front of your house? This is what the law...
- 16:00 Pupil’s business in frame
- 16:00 Body of missing woman found stuffed inside abandoned suitcase
- 16:00 20 reasons Barack Obama is the coolest US President of ALL time
- 16:00 Major Louth employer Luxus Ltd celebrates €1.4 million project
- 15:59 Lincolnshire ‘bucks the trend’ with latest employment figures
- 15:59 Ahead in the clouds – tech is reshaping the way we live
- 15:59 Seven unusual and idyllic cottages in Scotland
- 15:59 Sports partnership aims to break down barriers
- 15:59 Adlington pensioner, 81, almost cheated out of £2,500
- 15:59 Councillors’ plea to health bosses to ‘tell it like it is’
- 15:57 Bigger bill for key hospital as rates rise
- 15:57 Opera review: Written On Skin at the Royal Opera House
- 15:57 Ayr Rugby Club set sights on catching Melrose after clinching place...
- 15:56 Australian Open: Dan Evans hoping to put past demons behind him...
- 15:55 Liberty Global says Vodafone joint venture is not a deal blueprint
- 15:54 Police carry pregnant woman six miles through the snow on...
- 15:54 Wrexham prison to house first inmates in 40 day's time, according...
- 15:53 Comp: Win tickets to Liverpool v Swansea at Anfield for you and...
- 15:53 Wheelchair users in Supreme Court victory over pushchairs over who...
- 15:53 Police asked to investigate fraud allegations against two Labour...
- 15:53 Stunning starlings put on a show in Derbyshire
- 15:52 Burton Albion: Andy Garner's response when asked about Nigel Clough...
- 15:51 High school told it needs to improve
- 15:51 Poignant farewell for lifelong Imps fan after Lincoln City take a win
- 15:51 Holyhead man who armed himself with SIX KNIVES and threatened to...
- 15:50 Local man arrested on suspicion of multiple thefts from cars
- 15:49 Tony Bellew wants apology from David Haye this week for press...
- 15:49 Five ways Arsenal could line-up now Danny Welbeck is back in the mix
- 15:48 Plans for two new city centre car parks to be discussed by Coventry...