Police complaints process overhaul begins on Monday
A major overhaul of the system of police complaints in England and Wales comes into effect on Monday.
The old Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is being replaced by a new body, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).
Ministers say the change, part of a shake-up announced by Theresa May when home secretary, will speed up decision-making and create more accountability.
The IOPC will be able to take on cases without a referral from police forces.
The Home Office said the new watchdog would continue the IPCC's work investigating allegations of corruption, as well as... read more
- 18:52 Yorkshire Paedophile hunters make public apology for falsely...
- 18:52 We have to stop the deadly trade in arms
- 18:52 Windrush scandal: Albert Thompson gets cancer treatment date
- 18:51 Canada developing quantum radar to detect stealth aircraft
- 18:48 Iran threatens to withdraw from nuclear weapons treaty
- 18:48 Experiments show we quickly adjust to seeing everything upside-down
- 18:47 Owners not aware of 'epidemic' of trespassing at derelict Sheffield...
- 18:46 Trains back to normal after accident at level crossing
- 18:45 Canelo Alvarez is a 'cheat' who should never fight again after his...
- 18:42 Zlat meets Jack! Zlatan Ibrahimovic poses with boxer Badou Jack and...
- 18:42 Alfie Evans latest - judge asks doctors about 'other options' but...
- 18:42 Manchester City starlet Oleksandr Zinchenko takes in Barcelona sun...
- 18:42 Arsenal News: Gunners hero reveals who must replace Arsene Wenger
- 18:36 Director of Pateley accountancy firm thanks firefighters following...
- 18:36 Major National Space Centre revamp begins, this is what's changing
- 18:33 Waffle House shooting: police alerted to car theft days before assault
- 18:30 Police investigating sex attack want to speak to John Bennett
- 18:30 Brexit: May's 'customs partnership' idea cretinous, says Rees-Mogg
- 18:27 Pupils’ pop-up restaurant
- 18:27 'I know he loved me' - Barrow mum on losing her son to drug addiction
- 18:27 EastEnders spoilers: Linda Carter will be excited about the arrival...
- 18:27 Council backs anti-Semitism pledge
- 18:27 What is Alfie Evans's bran condition exactly and why has it been so...
- 18:22 President Trump cleans dandruff off Emmanuel Macron's shirt collar
- 18:22 End doubts over diesel's future, says Ford boss
- 18:18 Explosives scare: Full story as bomb squad cordon off Coventry suburb
- 18:17 Ireland expects Apple EU tax appeal to be heard in autumn
- 18:16 Fellaini, Wilshere, Yaya Toure and 56 other freebies Aston Villa...
- 18:16 Fellaini, Wilshere, Yaya and 56 other freebies available to...
- 18:16 Fellaini, Wilshere, Yaya and 56 other freebies Wolves could sign in...