Police bail restriction plans 'dangerous'
Plans to restrict the use of bail in England and Wales for suspects who have not been charged are "dangerous", policing experts have said.
The proposed 28-day limit was designed to reduce the time people spend on police bail and strengthen safeguards.
But the College of Policing told the BBC the change could lead to suspects being under investigation by one force without others knowing.
The Home Office said police processes and culture "need to change".
Police use pre-charge bail when they have questioned a suspect but need time to continue their investigations before... read more
- 09:35 Rip-off fears as Mastercard lets shoppers pay at till in...
- 09:35 Brexit has made Britons more interested in the economy - and...
- 09:35 What are trade agreements and why do we need them? Watch our...
- 09:34 Barrow residents to pay for 'green waste' collections
- 09:34 Weekend sexual health clinic in Barrow hospital closes after...
- 09:34 National headlines
- 09:34 Two seriously injured in A590 smash in Barrow
- 09:34 Traffic and travel news for Cumbria - Saturday December 3
- 09:32 India, Afghanistan plan air cargo link over Pakistan
- 09:31 Body of Long Eaton man James Nicholls pulled from sewage tank
- 09:30 Preferred candidate named in hunt for Lincolnshire’s new Chief...
- 09:29 Man killed in early-hours crash near Telford
- 09:29 Paul Pogba can be as good as Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and...
- 09:29 Reeves and Mortimer at Nottingham's Royal Concert Hall - review
- 09:25 Recognition for partnership tackling underage drinking
- 09:25 Morpeth woman jailed for involvement in murder
- 09:23 Hillsborough foes have traded places
- 09:23 Turkey hits back at EU over migrant deal collapse as it blasts 'you...
- 09:22 Unauthorised wearing of military medals could become a crime
- 09:21 China protests at Trump-Taiwan call
- 09:20 Concert violinist jailed for conning people out of £357,000 by...
- 09:20 Newcastle United duo set to miss Burton Albion trip after red cards...
- 09:16 Chinese mine disasters kill at least 38
- 09:15 Police forced to take mugshot with macaw who wouldn’t leave criminal
- 09:15 Fake injury claimants caught out after they were spotted playing...
- 09:14 DR MAX THE MIND DOCTOR: Faith can help when medicine fails...
- 09:13 Digital revamp for Carlisle fast food restaurant
- 09:13 Action group wants clear plan to protect Carlisle from more floods
- 09:12 The Chanel No. 5 perfume you know and love is at risk of...
- 09:11 Glorious English grapes! Spend a weekend tasting award-winning wine...