Pocket money booze: 18p for cider - fears over bargain basement alcohol prices
Alcohol continues to be sold at “pocket money” prices in the North East, with cider available for as little as 18p.
Lager can be bought for 23p, vodka for 36p, wine for 38p and perry for just 19p per unit.
An Alcohol Health Alliance study concluded that little has changed in recent years when it comes to people being able to buy very cheap booze from supermarkets and off-licences.
Researchers from the AHA analysed 480 products to find the cheapest drink on sale across the UK.
They said: “The conclusion is clear - alcohol continues to be sold at pocket money prices in supermarkets and... read more
- 16:15 How has this been allowed to happen? Brave Alex Novakovic and his...
- 16:15 Fears over killer food poisoning bug prompt recall
- 16:15 U.S. STOCKS MOVE HIGHER; DOW UP 0.25 PCT, S&P 500 UP 0.1 PCT,...
- 16:15 Fabulous at 40 - The celebrities who don't seem to age
- 16:14 View from the Zoo: Free ranging friendly birds
- 16:13 Halifax bow and arrow girl shooting 'not intentional'
- 16:12 Real Madrid tie Lucas Vazquez down to long-term contract after...
- 16:12 Quiz: can you name all 33 Burton Albion players Nigel Clough has...
- 16:11 Thousands stolen from security man during violent robbery in...
- 16:11 Social worker is in the running to win major award
- 16:10 Manchester United youngster Nishan Burkart scores outrageous winner...
- 16:10 Halloween highlights in the Harrogate District
- 16:10 Rock Up and Sing! choir set to perform gigs in Budapest
- 16:10 Column – Transport Talk with Don Mackenzie
- 16:10 Businesses evacuated in Stirling after gas leak at industrial estate
- 16:10 The unfair secrets behind celebrity fitness DVDs
- 16:10 Brother of stab victim to run for Chorley’s A&E
- 16:09 Police called after pig’s head found in Wellingborough
- 16:09 Repton left 'in chaos' due to diversion signs misleading drivers,...
- 16:09 Shop banned from selling alcohol after employing illegal immigrant
- 16:08 Revealed: Our top 10 nightmares, and what they mean
- 16:08 Councils accused of taking risks with OAPs' wellbeing by failing to...
- 16:07 First look inside Halloween Spooktacular - pictures and video
- 16:07 Looking for work experience? We asked a job search expert for top tips
- 16:07 From cheeky scrawls to hilling tags - a look at Newcastle's graffiti
- 16:06 England need top order to come good as they look to wrap up Test...
- 16:06 Sports Minister Tracey Crouch shows off her football skills at the...
- 16:06 Ukip MEPs Steven Woolfe and Mike Hookem reported to French police...
- 16:06 Seaman caught with child abuse pictures after scaring girl, eight,...
- 16:05 Council forced to clean up overflowing rubbish which littered...