Plunging pound and threats put EU farm workers off the UK
For the last 18 years, Jerzy Kwapniewski has left his home in Poland to spend the summer months picking apples and hops on a farm in central England. He plans to look for work in Germany next year.
The 50-year-old seasonal worker is one of many east Europeans who, shaken by the fallout from Britain's vote to leave the EU, have either left the country early or indicated a reluctance to return next year.
They are being driven away by a sharp fall in the pound that has eroded the value of their wages back home and concern for their safety as the anti-immigration rhetoric which fuelled the vote... read more
- 00:31 Major breakthrough in search for cause of MS
- 00:30 Pep Guardiola failing to make the grade in the Premier League with...
- 00:30 Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha: This is why we lost to Celtic in the...
- 00:29 Futures rally after centrist takes first round in French election
- 00:29 Afghan Taliban's brazen attack eclipses Trump's 'mother of all bombs'
- 00:26 Period details of horror, from the Victorian era to today
- 00:26 Why ‘Anywheres’ ignore ‘Somewheres’ at their peril
- 00:26 The Good Book of the Manics
- 00:26 City have it all to do after first-leg loss
- 00:26 Gift of the Gab gives Bruce derby day spoils
- 00:26 Sinclair dreams of the perfect treble
- 00:26 How Ofcom meddling is harming the communications sector
- 00:26 Never believe predictions, especially about the future
- 00:26 Is private property peculiar to capitalism and do socialists want...
- 00:26 Overturning the rigged system
- 00:26 Syria: Government captures more ground in Hama province
- 00:26 Marine Le Pen says France’s survival ‘at stake’ in impassioned...
- 00:26 Afghanistan: President declares day of mourning
- 00:26 Euro SURGES after anti-EU 'nightmare scenario' in French election...
- 00:27 Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp unhappy with how his side defended...
- 00:26 Ukraine: Land mine explosion kills OSCE observer in Donbass
- 00:27 London Marathon: How to enter the ballot for the 2018 race
- 00:26 Talking is the way to achieve world peace
- 00:26 EU chief praises Macron as ‘hope of a generation’ ahead of Marine...
- 00:26 Corbyn: Scots’ lives better under Labour
- 00:26 Tories play down talk of tax rises if Conservatives win snap...
- 00:26 The Tories want to finish us off
- 00:26 Leicester Curry Awards winner revealed
- 00:25 Manchester United to pay Monaco £8.3million for this player
- 00:22 Local, global security firms in race along China's 'Silk Road'