BRITAIN’S biggest police force is looking for a new boss. Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, the head of the Metropolitan Police, announced on September 29th that he would retire early next year. It was “exactly the right time” to go, he explained—surprisingly, since the 58-year-old had been expected to serve for at least another year. The quirks of replacing him highlight what a tricky job it is.
Sir Bernard has been in charge of the capital’s coppers during testing times. He was appointed in September 2011, shortly after the worst riots in at least a generation struck London and other English... read more
- 11:11 'Poorly parked vehicle' causes Sheffield bus diversion
- 11:09 Istanbul memories for PNE star John Welsh
- 11:08 Grisly seaside murders to feature in new TV show
- 11:07 New mums urged to adopt ‘breast is best’ philosophy
- 11:07 Nottinghamshire police are appealing for help to find a missing man
- 11:06 9 reasons why you should ignore Noel Gallagher and visit...
- 11:04 Chart-toppers Steps to headline North East gig
- 11:04 Man jailed for selling sick puppies then going on run
- 11:03 Nottinghamshire police are appealing for help to find a missing man
- 10:59 Jam-packed line-up for second day of Ireby Festival
- 10:53 Justin Langer expects Australia to 'cop it' in England over...
- 10:52 Rescue team and a walker help guide a lost man to safety off the...
- 10:52 Glorious conditions forecast in Cumbria for bank holiday weekend
- 10:52 Man Utd transfer news: Raphael Varane wanted in shock swap deal for...
- 10:51 Boots accused of charging NHS over £3,000 for £93 cancer...
- 10:51 Why one of the royal wedding flower girls was missing a hair wreath...
- 10:51 Student flats destroyed after someone used disposable barbecue on roof
- 10:51 Key Salisbury site reopens to public 11 weeks after nerve agent attack
- 10:45 Man jailed for selling sick puppies then going on run
- 10:43 Man jailed for selling sick puppies then going on run
- 10:43 Stabbed at a neo-Nazi rally, called a criminal: how police targeted...
- 10:43 Is Ramadan easier in Nigeria than New York?
- 10:43 Spanish socialists file no-confidence motion against Mariano Rajoy
- 10:41 Glorious conditions forecast in Cumbria for bank holiday weekend
- 10:41 Keswick Convention revamp work set to start on pencil factory
- 10:41 Several volcanic earthquakes strike near Kilauea's summit as...
- 10:41 An Inspector Calls... The Pig in Devon is an idyllic countryside...
- 10:41 Such a dishy city! Searching for the perfect paella in Valencia -...
- 10:41 Summer sorted! Not yet booked? Don't panic - dreamy family villas...
- 10:39 ASOS makes the case for carrying your junk in a miniature bin