Plastic bag charge: 'Window of opportunity' to bring in more charges
A 5p charge for plastic bags in large stores was introduced in England a year ago next week, and research suggests it's had positive environmental effects with usage being radically reduced.
Some 90% of shoppers in England now use their own carrier bags, research for Cardiff University has suggested - up from 70% before the levy was introduced. This follows similar results in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
So could similar charges be applied to other items to help the environment?
Plastic bottles Elena Sautkina, an expert in environmental psychology, believes that there is a... read more
- 10:15 German consumer morale at highest level since October 2001 heading...
- 10:15 Russia HITS BACK at UK: Fallon is ‘ignorant’ blasts Russia minister...
- 10:15 Nato allies boost spending, but most STILL fall short of 2% target...
- 10:14 Heage apprentice scoops top award
- 10:14 NHS comments after Derbyshire doctor takes her own life
- 10:14 Ehud Olmert: Jailed ex-Israeli PM 'to be released early'
- 10:13 Whitefriars consider fitting sprinklers in all buildings as council...
- 10:13 Burton Albion games with Sheffield United and Cardiff City rescheduled
- 10:12 Guest column: Council cuts are a ‘false economy’
- 10:12 Hartshead Moor set sights on double
- 10:11 Huge blaze at Wigan flats
- 10:11 Heroic cop tells how he fought with London Bridge terrorists armed...
- 10:11 Australia, United States begin their biggest joint military exercise
- 10:11 Archbishop of York joins growing list calling for cross-party...
- 10:11 Cascade of carnations among the 10,000 flowers in Castle Howard’s...
- 10:10 Would you raffle your home for £2 a ticket? Owner of country pile...
- 10:10 £5,000 reward to reunite Normandy veteran with medals lost on M6
- 10:09 RISE AND SHINE: Latest weather, travel and news updates
- 10:09 Why Newcastle United striker Adam Armstrong will not be heading to...
- 10:09 Wimbledon: The 10 greatest tantrums in the tennis game’s history
- 10:09 Mail reporter Beth Pridding went to give blood for the first time...
- 10:08 Starbucks customer says coffee made him ‘poop’ 11 times
- 10:08 What you need to know for this weekend's Forest Live concerts at...
- 10:07 Stand up for the ‘Big Comedy Weekend!’
- 10:07 Man arrested for aggressive behaviour on busy Sheffield street
- 10:07 Pair jailed for a combined 44 years over Cramlington murder
- 10:07 Big Brother 2017: Chanelle and Isabelle rub BARE BREASTS on other...
- 10:07 Bargain Hunt coming to British Motor Museum in Gaydon
- 10:07 Elderly couple threatened by masked raiders in Dronfield
- 10:06 Chelsea defender Kurt Zouma becomes transfer target for Crystal Palace