Plastic £5 breaks records at auction - but it wasn't any old note
A new plastic £5 note has been sold for a record £4,150 at auction as the value of the new notes continues to surge.
The new polymer banknote was one of the first to be minted, boasting the much sought-after serial number AA01 000017, and fetched the eye-watering sum at a Bank of England charity event.
Experts say there are 999,999 other new fivers with the AA01 prefix, with the first batch printed by the Bank of England (serial number AA01 000001) given to the Queen.
The auction, which took place in central London on Monday, is said to have attracted a lot of interest from collectors, some... read more
- 07:40 No Hard Knock Life for Annie and her crew
- 07:33 Ian McCall slams 'awful' Ayr United performance as they crash to St...
- 07:33 WEATHER: It’s going to be wet and windy
- 07:32 Barcelona willing to offer Real Madrid this star to keep Lionel...
- 07:32 Manchester United star snubbed transfer because of his country
- 07:29 Antoine Griezmann tells Paul Pogba: I see myself at Manchester United
- 07:29 Manchester United's EFL Cup final wildcard could be a man Jose...
- 07:26 Former soldier brandished gun and threatened to shoot teenager at...
- 07:22 THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK: February 26
- 07:19 EastEnders villain 'Nasty' Nick Cotton comes to Huddersfield for...
- 07:19 EXCLUSIVE: Southampton should exploit this Man United weak link -...
- 07:19 Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet: What I did after Jurgen Klopp...
- 07:15 Australia and Indonesia restore full military ties
- 07:13 WEATHER: It’s going to be wet and windy
- 07:12 Tortoises rescued from smugglers make their Chester Zoo debut
- 07:11 Three arrested after police pursuit across counties
- 07:11 WEATHER: It’s going to be wet and windy
- 07:10 Manchester United star: I want to sign a new deal
- 07:10 Arsenal staff reveal Alexis Sanchez will leave Gunners in the summer
- 07:06 DFS Trading Limited fined £1m after worker suffered serious...
- 07:06 Chef cooks up a veggie treat
- 07:04 Carl Bridgewater murder: Bert Spencer welcomes new police review of...
- 07:03 Men who sup more than seven pints of beer a week for several years...
- 07:03 Army of grandparents saving families billions in child care
- 07:03 Charity helping Thai children says thanks
- 07:02 Burnley boss Sean Dyche: This is what I thought about that red card...
- 07:01 ‘Squequel’ to mouse mystery in Boston Stump
- 07:00 Stunning photos takes you behind the scenes of the Guildhall in Hull
- 07:00 See how Hull city centre is REALLY taking shape
- 07:00 Brave Ruby Lawler, 8, beats cancer for SECOND time