Plans to give Sooty a girlfriend sparked sex row at the BBC in the 1960s
0 Have your say Plans to introduce a female puppet to TV show Sooty were so controversial that the BBC's director-general had to announce a "no touch" rule, it has emerged.
Sooty creator Harry Corbett wanted to launch a female puppet on the famous children's TV show in the 1960s.
But according to BBC News, a new documentary has revealed that the show's producer and a BBC governor were against Sooty having a girlfriend.
Producer Trevor Hill dismissed the idea, which also caused controversy in the press, on the grounds that "sex would be creeping into the programme".
BBC... read more
- 13:44 Siemens pledges commitment to post-Brexit UK
- 13:44 Oil slips towards $50 on doubts over duration of output cut
- 13:43 New-look chalets arrive for summer
- 13:43 The new 12-sided pound coin hits the shops on Tuesday and here's...
- 13:43 Just ONE injection of stem cells from a man's stomach could be a...
- 13:43 Yorkshire weather: Cloudy skies bring an end to our all-too-brief...
- 13:43 Man helped fearsome blackmailer stay on the run from police
- 13:43 Teen sustains horrific facial injuries after being jumped at...
- 13:43 EastEnders, Corrie, Emmerdale and Hollyoaks: 10 reasons this is the...
- 13:43 Linda Nolan is diagnosed with ‘incurable’ cancer as sister Coleen...
- 13:43 Residents assured rubbish dumped on Holme Lane will be cleared up
- 13:42 Brexit: Theresa May promises to build a ‘more united nation’
- 13:42 Search on for best talent in Daventry
- 13:42 Fun and flavour at Althorp Food and Drink Festival
- 13:42 What’s up choc? Warning as bunny falls ill from scoffing sweet treat
- 13:41 Atletico Madrid team-mate opens up on Antoine Griezmann to Man...
- 13:41 Liverpool clear favourites to beat Chelsea and Man United to Real...
- 13:41 Little Mix star Leigh-Anne Pinnock jumps into boyfriend Andre...
- 13:41 Coastguard paged to rescue dog
- 13:41 Drone that flies WITHOUT a human pilot has been given permission to...
- 13:41 Just ONE injection of stem cells from a man's stomach could be a...
- 13:41 Syria's Raqqa expected to join Kurdish-led federalism - Kurdish leader
- 13:40 Police 'concerned' over missing Scarborough teen
- 13:40 Millions of energy customers could roll back bills to 2008 prices
- 13:40 Soon babies could get 5 in 1 vaccination from birth
- 13:39 Yorkshire weather: Cloudy skies bring an end to our all-too-brief...
- 13:39 Video: Could you be the right person to help monitor cells at West...
- 13:39 Come and have a dance at the ceilidh
- 13:39 Mum’s the Word
- 13:38 Inquiry launched into 'unsustainable' nuclear decommissioning contract