Plans to curb House of Lords powers 'dropped'
Plans to curb the power of the House of Lords have been dropped by the government, sources have told the BBC.
Former House of Lords leader Lord Strathclyde came up with a plan to remove peers' veto over laws, called statutory instruments, after a series of government defeats last year.
Legislation to remove that power from the upper chamber, where the Tories do not have a majority, had been expected.
But the BBC understands Number 10 will not now go ahead with the proposals.
One source said: "It's been dumped." Another added: "The world has changed."
'Last resort' The... read more
- 11:42 Three injured after van ends up in ditch at Beeford
- 11:42 What Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has said about Nemanja...
- 11:42 Cumbria to be in fine voice for singing legend's return
- 11:42 'Precautionary' fire checks to be carried out within area's care...
- 11:41 Muslim children seek counselling after being called terrorists...
- 11:41 Operation underway to remove restaurant boat from Hartlepool Marina
- 11:41 BREAKING: Six individuals to face charges over Hillsborough disaster
- 11:41 Iconic Flying Scotsman steam train set to arrive in Melton
- 11:41 Man Utd Transfer News LIVE updates: Morata crunch talks, Galbraith...
- 11:41 Duckinfield, Bettison and others charged over Hillsborough disaster
- 11:41 Father and daughter to do 10,000ft skydive
- 11:41 Pair complete 24-hour walking marathon
- 11:40 Five friends have been recreating the same college photo since 1982
- 11:40 BREAKING: M1 closed in both directions in South Yorkshire due to...
- 11:40 Positive response received for Louth school changes
- 11:39 Government invests £340,000 to remodel Harrogate A&E department
- 11:39 'Precautionary' fire checks to be carried out within area's care...
- 11:39 Free nursery places for 1,500 needy children to be CUT by...
- 11:39 BANK’S STARK WARNING: Britain heading for crash if lenders don’t...
- 11:38 CCTV appeal after bag stolen from Scarborough amusement arcade
- 11:38 Ex-police officer David Duckenfield charged with manslaughter and...
- 11:38 Two arrested in South Shields in computer software service fraud probe
- 11:38 Lucky Duckys delight crowds
- 11:38 Government invests £340,000 to remodel Harrogate A&E department
- 11:38 BREAKING: Six individuals to face charges over Hillsborough disaster
- 11:37 Passenger airport for Cumbria 'will bring boost to tourist economy'...
- 11:37 Thieves ransack Aeropark charity museum at East Midlands Airport
- 11:37 Nottinghamshire dad behind viral videos is up for award
- 11:37 BREAKING: Six individuals to face charges over Hillsborough disaster
- 11:37 Facebook to live stream more than a dozen UEFA Champions League...