Planned £80m power plant a "blot" on Carlisle landscape, say campaigners
An environmental campaign group is opposing a proposed £80m energy-from-waste plant which residents say will be a blot on the local landscape.
Radiation Free Lakeland has submitted its objection to the proposed Energy Recovery Facility at Kingmoor Park, a short distance from the Lowry Hill housing estate and Kingmoor Nature Reserve.
More than 360 people have signed an online petition against it.
They say the facility – featuring a 70 metre high chimney - should not be so near to a housing estate or schools, though the developer insists there is no health risk.
Those backing the facility –... read more
- 14:46 Rafael Nadal opens up after battling win over Gael Monfils at...
- 14:46 E-cigarettes ‘attract teenagers who wouldn’t normally smoke,' finds...
- 14:46 North East MPs tell PM Theresa May: Reveal Government 'guarantees'...
- 14:46 Danny Cowley happy to see Lincoln City fans back in Stacey West Stand
- 14:44 Watch Saturday Night Live’s musical sketch tribute to Barack Obama
- 14:44 Caught in queues in London Road this morning? Here's why
- 14:43 AMERICA’S BREXIT? New bill could pull US out of UN in funding row
- 14:43 Ethiopian crushed to death in Calais – but police REFUSE to accept...
- 14:43 Classic 1973 Range Rover that travelled through AFRICA goes on sale
- 14:43 WATCH: Young girl, 7, pens heartfelt open letter to Prime Minister...
- 14:42 Drunk driver attempted to flee after high-speed crash on A59 at...
- 14:42 Police concerned for safety of 25-year-old man
- 14:42 Public urged to vote for Scotland’s beavers
- 14:41 Charity challenge Walking With The Wounded aiming for biggest year yet
- 14:41 Warning to older people as Met Office issues cold weather alert
- 14:40 Holbeach Music Cafe to reopen at WI Hall
- 14:40 Emergency planning meeting to mobilise village community
- 14:40 Anglesey farmer forks out £500 after assaulting young woman in pub...
- 14:40 German government holds 2017 growth forecast at 1.4 percent - sources
- 14:39 Wall St. set to open lower amid uncertainty under Trump
- 14:39 Ban lifted on Indian bull-taming events to end mass protests
- 14:38 LIVE: Coastguard helicopter responds to 'ongoing incident' in...
- 14:38 Town’s oldest building to be saved from possible collapse
- 14:38 Jurgen Klopp: How injury to star man hit Liverpool players
- 14:38 Has Jurgen Klopp just given up on Liverpool winning the title?
- 14:38 Perplexed by your pension? You're not alone - we lift the lid on...
- 14:37 Changes over time give tower surrealistic feel
- 14:37 Civic Society marks 40 years
- 14:36 WE MAKE QUIZZING FUN: Rumours of this week's Fleetwood Mac top...
- 14:36 YP Letters: Teachers must be equipped to be resilient for pupils’ sake