Plan to end NHS reliance on foreign medics could backfire, Hunt told
Leading doctors are warning Jeremy Hunt that his plan to make the NHS “self-sufficient” with homegrown medics will not work and poses “a major risk” to the health service.
In a letter to the Guardian, the presidents of two of the profession’s medical royal colleges tell the health secretary that his move has demoralised overseas doctors already working in the NHS and could deprive it of the long-established supply of foreign medics upon whom it depends.
The intervention by Professor Jane Dacre, president of the Royal College of Physicians (RCP), and Clare Marx, her counterpart at the Royal... read more
- 11:58 WEATHER WARNING: Winds of up to 60mph to batter North West
- 11:57 Sheffield College students stage Shakespeare inspired show
- 11:56 Missing Warwick man found safe
- 11:55 Byron Sixth Form College into national F1 Schools competition final
- 11:55 Tributes left to Sunderland fan who died in cycling tragedy
- 11:55 Manchester United players and Jose Mourinho in positive mood ahead...
- 11:54 Labour to host vigil for Louth Hospital and NHS
- 11:54 SS-GB: BBC to 'look at' sound levels after complaints
- 11:53 Toyota tease futuristic electric city car concept that'll be...
- 11:53 BMW reveals new flying motorcycle and you'll never believe what...
- 11:53 Manchester United v St-Etienne: Jose Mourinho receives injury boost
- 11:53 Wrexham teenagers arrested on suspicion of robbery
- 11:53 The Lords has "lost its honour" - is it time for them to go?
- 11:53 EU banking watchdog revises new payments rules
- 11:53 As he turns 93, Mugabe dismisses corruption allegations
- 11:52 Man suffers burns to face and head in car fire
- 11:52 BREAKING: Jacob Benet Cook pleads guilty to child sex offences
- 11:52 Wayne Rooney returns to training ahead of Manchester United’s EFL...
- 11:51 Why Sutton's 23-stone goalkeeper Wayne Shaw might regret eating a...
- 11:51 Is your Wirral bus route at risk of being scrapped?
- 11:50 This Man United star is the same as Arsenal's Alexis Sanchez - Tony...
- 11:50 Mario Gotze to Liverpool: Pundit questions Jurgen Klopp’s pursuit...
- 11:50 Lincolnshire doctor's surgery placed in special measures
- 11:50 Heterosexual couple lose latest civil partnership battle
- 11:48 Completion date finally set for £58m South Yorkshire tram-train...
- 11:48 German employers criticise SPD plan to wind back labour reforms
- 11:48 The Kaiser Chiefs are coming to Market Rasen
- 11:48 Everything you need to know about JoJo Bows - the latest trend to...
- 11:48 BREAKING: Police shoot driver of speeding truck full of gas...
- 11:48 Wolds farmer is county’s new NFU delegate