Plan to end NHS reliance on foreign medics could backfire, Hunt told
Leading doctors are warning Jeremy Hunt that his plan to make the NHS “self-sufficient” with homegrown medics will not work and poses “a major risk” to the health service.
In a letter to the Guardian, the presidents of two of the profession’s medical royal colleges tell the health secretary that his move has demoralised overseas doctors already working in the NHS and could deprive it of the long-established supply of foreign medics upon whom it depends.
The intervention by Professor Jane Dacre, president of the Royal College of Physicians (RCP), and Clare Marx, her counterpart at the Royal... read more
- 09:19 Transforming waste wood into something wonderful
- 09:19 Enjoy high drama on this cliff-top trail
- 09:19 Calling all rebels: Dundee exhibition celebrates 80 years of The Beano
- 09:17 Worrying rise in children referred for mental health treatment in...
- 09:16 Exit polls suggest landslide vote for reform in Irish abortion...
- 09:15 WEATHER: A sunny Saturday for South Yorkshire
- 09:13 Latest news from Berwick Naturalists Club
- 09:12 Police appeal for information after a caravan theft
- 09:10 How well do you know your road signs?
- 09:08 Chelsea Clinton: ‘I’ve had vitriol flung at me for as long as I can...
- 09:08 Woman escapes safely after car catches fire on A590
- 09:08 University of Southern California president quits in gynaecology...
- 09:07 Meet the volunteers of the scenic Keighley & Worth Valley Railway
- 09:07 The artist 'beguiled' by a Yorkshire forest
- 09:07 Doncaster's 'eighth wonder of the world': The house made of sand...
- 09:07 How well do you know your road signs?
- 09:06 Conservatives call for ‘simpler’ parking policy in Sunderland with...
- 09:04 Music review: Nina Nesbitt
- 09:04 Music review: Sparks
- 09:04 Music review: Echo & the Bunnymen
- 09:04 Comedy review: Tim Vine: Sunset Milk Idiot
- 09:04 Theatre review: Sunshine on Leith
- 09:02 7 interior design tips for when your home is the size of a shoebox
- 09:01 Irish abortion referendum: exit polls predict landslide for yes as...
- 08:59 Leamington man on the home stretch for his 56 challenges
- 08:56 UPDATE: M6 closed after smash
- 08:55 Liverpool star Mohamed Salah deserves Ballon d'Or over Cristiano...
- 08:49 UPDATE: M6 closed after smash
- 08:48 Hunt for Audi A3 driver who sped off after fatal crash that left...
- 08:45 James Milner stuns Liverpool team-mates with wondergoal ahead of...