Pictures: Nearly 50 years of the Leicester Mercury at Mercury Place
Today, it was announced that the Leicester Mercury would be leaving its offices as a new music company would be moving in.
The Mercury moved into the purpose-built premises in 1966.
The building was officially opened by HRH Princess Alexandra on January 11, 1967 after it took three years to be built.
It was once occupied by the entire Leicester Mercury staff with a printing press located on site.
In 1967, the total amount of staff that worked at the Mercury was around 500.
Forty years later, Franklin Ellis Architects was commissioned to redesign the offices.
It involved removing and... read more
- 01:16 Oscar nominations 2017: What to look out for
- 01:15 Speeding fines to rise for most serious cases - Sentencing Council
- 01:02 'Mental Viagra' injections made from CHOCOLATE could soon be used...
- 01:02 Early Earth was scarred by massive chunks of failed planets 4...
- 01:02 The knight of the forest floor: Strange caterpillar uses leaves to...
- 01:02 Social instability, warfare and political crises killed off Mayan...
- 01:02 Why travelling East makes your team play badly: Researchers find...
- 01:02 Artificial life breakthrough as researchers reveals first 'alien'...
- 01:00 'Harsher penalties' set for drivers guilty of the most serious...
- 00:59 Trump makes early move on restricting abortions around the world
- 00:55 Goncalo Guedes rejects Manchester United for Paris Saint-Germain move
- 00:54 'Help me find my birth family'
- 00:54 France's Benoit Hamon rouses Socialists with basic income plan
- 00:52 Self-fuelling tumours resist cancer drugs
- 00:52 White House disputes multiple calls between Trump adviser, Russian...
- 00:46 Free bus pass age could rise due to people living longer
- 00:42 Southern planning normal service despite strike by train drivers
- 00:42 Two arrested over Hornchurch flats blast
- 00:42 Murder probe launched after stab death of boy, 15
- 00:42 Special relationship with UK can always be closer, says White House
- 00:42 Supreme Court to rule on Brexit trigger challenge
- 00:42 Obama government asked UK to keep Trident 'malfunction' secret...
- 00:41 EastEnders spoilers: 11 characters who definitely survive the crash...
- 00:35 Falkirk slap £750,000 price tag on youngster Tony Gallacher amid...
- 00:35 Man Utd deal sanctioned, Hart to Chelsea, £34.5m Arsenal plan,...
- 00:34 China Stocks-Factors to watch on Tuesday
- 00:27 'Resident Evil' goes back to survival horror roots for new game
- 00:26 Tough justice - magistrates get more powers to deal with animal...
- 00:19 Czechs say Polish man released after being held in Syria since 2015
- 00:19 ISIS leader al-Baghdadi 'critically injured' in MIGHTY air strike...