PICTURES AND VIDEO: Remembering RAF Finningley 20 years after its closure
0 Have your say Exactly 20 years ago this year, the proud military history of Doncaster's RAF Finningley came to an end. It was in 1996 that the ensign was lowered for the last time at the air base which welcomed thousands of Royal Air Force crews during its operational days and was known both locally, nationally and internationally as the venue for the annual September air show.
Now Robin Hood Airport, where the first commercial flight took off in April 2005, the site was home to RAF Finningley for 80 historic years.
The first airfield was built in 1915 and by the time the base closed two... read more
- 00:14 Many countries ‘stricter on game hunting rules’ than Scotland
- 00:13 Inverness 2-1 Rangers: Bad to worse for Graeme Murty as Billy...
- 00:13 Wales foot soldier Sam Warburton has rediscovered his mojo thanks...
- 00:12 Feminist issues that won’t go away
- 00:12 Arts ahead: February 25 2017
- 00:12 On Distras, Drewett, Seagulls and myself
- 00:12 Man U’s Rostov tie ‘bad in every aspect’ – Jose
- 00:12 FOXES FANS BLAST ‘SHAMEFUL’ SACKING
- 00:12 A fitting send-off for England’s greatest, Kelly Smith
- 00:12 Look beyond Trump’s populist razzmatazz
- 00:12 Soldiers go on trial over coup plot
- 00:12 DUP admits funding was from Constitutional Research Council
- 00:12 Austerity is near an end, Tsipras claims after EU debt deal
- 00:12 Arcadia staff give bosses a dressing down
- 00:11 Music review: Julian Cope
- 00:12 MPs pass anti-rape Bill despite ‘villainous’ Tory’s whining
- 00:11 Music review: The Pet Shop Boys
- 00:12 Union fears Argos move will depress wages
- 00:11 Music review: Pelleas & Melisande
- 00:12 Former St Mirren Paul McKnight calls on Saints to turn the clock...
- 00:12 Crowd left baffled as Cambuslang boxer loses out to controversial...
- 00:11 Film/Music review: Lost in France
- 00:11 Theatre review: Pink Mist, Last Tango in Partick, The Curious...
- 00:11 Mum’s the Word:
- 00:11 MP tackles football's breastfeeding taboo
- 00:11 Film review: Demons; David Lynch: The Art Life; Their Finest
- 00:11 Scottish Labour's Dugdale pledges to work 'tirelessly' for union
- 00:08 Robbie Henshaw and Garry Ringrose must ignore hype, says Gordon...
- 00:07 David Moyes speaks out on Manchester United transfer: Player would...
- 00:07 North-north divide: York and Bradford in a tale of two cities