Phillip Hughes inquest says death was 'inevitable' after hit
The death of Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes was "inevitable" from the moment he was struck by a cricket ball, a coronial inquest has heard.
The 25-year-old Test batsman was hit by a blow to the neck during a domestic match in Sydney on 25 November 2014.
He died two days later from a haemorrhage in the brain, spurring an unprecedented display of grief from Australia and around the world.
The five-day hearing is examining if his death was avoidable.
The inquest will address the speed of the emergency response and the nature of play on the day.
In her opening address, Kristina... read more
- 17:07 Lorry overturns in crash on A1
- 17:06 Gabriel Jesus reacts to Man City Manchester derby comeback
- 17:06 Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho reveals plan to cope with...
- 17:05 Barry Horne: Joey Barton's gambling ban was too excessive
- 17:04 Large police presence seen in Spring Bank in Hull at Friday rush hour
- 17:04 Mounted police and metal detectors being used in crackdown on knife...
- 17:03 Anthony Joshua collects bespoke Range Rover ahead of big fight
- 17:03 Mum of brutal bully attack victim doesn't regret releasing shocking...
- 17:03 Is your desk job destroying all the good work you’ve put in at...
- 17:03 Rail users in the north west hit by 24-hour strike
- 17:03 All the memories come flooding back
- 17:03 What is Ed Balls Day? Everything you need to know about the sixth...
- 16:58 Juan Mata could play again this season for Manchester United
- 16:58 Sunderland AFC record £33million loss
- 16:58 Green campaigner Andrew Cooper set to stand in general election
- 16:57 These are the holiday destinations most likely to cause a break-up
- 16:57 Why you should make sure you ALWAYS take this item on a plane with you
- 16:57 Why the Royal Family will NEVER use these certain words
- 16:57 Elderly man found dead in public toilet
- 16:57 Chick this out!
- 16:57 Police appeal for witnesses to Hartlepool collision
- 16:57 Warwick Boat Club edge out Stratford in thrilling final
- 16:56 Tyson Fury posts emotional letter to his fans and family as he...
- 16:55 Revealed: These are the best loved brands in Britain
- 16:55 Michelle Obama: 'I won't run for office' for my children
- 16:55 Bullring fire: Room full of jewellery 'wrecked' after blaze at...
- 16:55 America's biggest orchards could soon use ROBOT fruit pickers, but...
- 16:55 Think YOU can tell the time? Take the test to see if a new...
- 16:54 ON THIS DAY: Severe weather alert of SNOW for Derbyshire
- 16:54 Man United set to table £17m bid for Jorge Mendes' client