Philippines' Duterte likens himself to Hitler, wants to kill millions of drug users
Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte appeared to liken himself to Nazi leader Adolf Hitler on Friday and said he would "be happy" to exterminate three million drug users and peddlers in the country.
His comments triggered shock and anger among Jewish groups in the United States, which will add to pressure on the U.S. government to take a tougher line with the Philippines leader. Duterte recently insulted President Barack Obama and in a series of remarks he has undermined the previously close relationship between Manila and Washington.
In a rambling speech on his arrival in Davao... read more
- 07:04 Health column: Athletes must look after their brains
- 07:04 IN PICTURES: Buckingham comes together for the royal wedding
- 07:02 Trains disrupted because of car on railway line in Rotherham
- 07:02 Guest Column: Does social media improve modern life?
- 07:02 Arsenal news: Mikel Arteta eyeing 'new Premier League job' after...
- 07:01 Football team of Northampton man killed in hit-and-run to hold...
- 07:01 Delays and lane closures on M62
- 07:01 Fears of staffing crisis as GPs ‘can only accept urgent patients’
- 06:59 Leader comment: The Scotsman finds Donald Trump’s perfect golf partner
- 06:58 Dad and daughter team up for 400km charity cycle challenge
- 06:58 South Shields teen to receive Duke of Edinburgh Award
- 06:58 Special celebration for heroic war veteran as he turns 100
- 06:58 Driver calls for end to pothole misery after having to replace...
- 06:57 Tetford volunteers show how to clean up
- 06:57 Education Column: Sheffield headteachers have got some tough...
- 06:54 Guest Column: Become a king or queen at the Old Hall
- 06:53 TWO former Chelsea stars on Roman Abramovich's director of football...
- 06:50 YEP's own Connie makes the news as she celebrates 100th birthday
- 06:47 Wayne Bell jailed for neo-Nazi group social media posts
- 06:48 ‘Too much TV’ linked to heart disease and cancer
- 06:47 Extinct butterfly to be reintroduced in England
- 06:48 Dementia patients’ medication prompts care plan concerns
- 06:47 High levels of screen time linked to cancer and heart disease
- 06:47 Sextortion: Big rise in victims with 'tens of thousands at risk'
- 06:47 PNE striker Callum Robinson’s Republic of Ireland boost
- 06:47 Big-punching Preston prospect Damian Chambers makes fast start to...
- 06:47 Preston's Wembley win the highlight of John Welsh's career
- 06:46 Thursday’s best TV: Humans; Million Pound Menu; Missions
- 06:46 In her bicentenary year, Victoria’s life becomes a ballet, with...
- 06:45 Unai Emery: Arsenal fans have their say on new Gunners coach –...