Phil Mickelson issues apology on eve of the Ryder Cup after criticising 2004 captain Hal Sutton: 'I feel awful. It was never meant to be like that'
Ryder Cup veteran Phil Mickelson has apologised to former captain Hal Sutton for criticism of his leadership in 2004.
The five-time major winner, when asked about the importance of captains, used the example of Sutton's decision to pair him with Tigers Woods on the opening day at Oakland Hills when they lost both matches and never played together again.
'We were told two days before that we were playing together and that gave us no time to work together and prepare,' Mickelson said on Wednesday. 'That's an example of starting with the captain that put us in a position to fail and we failed... read more
- 16:55 Is this the most terrifying hike ever?Daredevil tourist climbs...
- 16:54 Second accident mars Rio Carnival parade finale, 12 hurt
- 16:54 Tibetan women's soccer players denied US visas for Texas tournament
- 16:53 How the Merseyrail strike will affect you - key questions answered...
- 16:53 Grimsby Town boss calls for 'more intelligence' against Colchester...
- 16:53 One of the 21st century's finest pieces of art
- 16:52 Fake £5 notes are in circulation and here's how you can spot them
- 16:50 Police launch appeal to find man who goes by four different names
- 16:50 Shortlist for CAMRA Leicester's Pub of the Year 2017 announced
- 16:50 New 420 pupil school to open in Nottinghamshire
- 16:49 Out-of-contract XI: Man United star Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Chelsea...
- 16:49 Do we really need more student accomodation in Liverpool? This man...
- 16:49 Surfing heads inland, to Austin, Texas
- 16:48 Legend makes big call: £40m-rated star has been tracked by Man...
- 16:47 'How do I protect my family?': EU citizens in Britain contemplate...
- 16:47 New FCC chair vows 'light-touch' approach to regulation
- 16:47 Sir Patrick Stewart learning to paint with young Scots artist
- 16:46 Wall Street slips as financials, discretionary stocks drag
- 16:46 U.N. says Thailand leaves legal loophole for torture, disappearances
- 16:46 Teenager punched and stamped on during Widnes street robbery
- 16:46 Car drives into crowd at Mardi Gras parade in Alabama
- 16:45 I refuse to be ashamed of relying on my partner for money
- 16:43 BREAKING: Dozens hurt as car ploughs into crowd at Mardi Gras...
- 16:42 All aboard for re-opening of miniature railway
- 16:42 Online court hearings set to ‘modernise” Scottish courts
- 16:42 EastEnders: Concerned Shirley Carter warns Whitney to STAY AWAY...
- 16:41 Man United star Paul Pogba attacked by fans in restaurant after...
- 16:41 Dean Saunders: This is the key reason why Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool...
- 16:41 EU parliament says governments delayed new rules on car emissions
- 16:40 Horizon Zero Dawn reveals astonishing vision of future Birmingham -...